Had a surprise today, more funds available in the budget than I thought so I went to the lumber yard and got the wood that I needed. Got it all milled up and the front rail is now in the clamps. Due to my clamp shortage, I’ll have to glue up the last leg after I get home from work tomorrow night. But that’s good because it’ll set me up perfect for next weekend’s activities. I picked up a 2 – 5/8” forstner bit for the plastic bearing ring, a 4” fors...
Small workbench based on shipbuilt's Short Block V8 (Workbench Challange) #3: Leg stretchers, assembly bolts and bottom shelf.
This part was very straight forward, The stretchers were assembled from 3 strips of 3/4” BB glued together with Biscuits to help keep everything aligned. The center strip is 1/2” longer to make a tendon. Next I made a router template to make the mortises in the legs. At that point it was just a matter of laying them out and cutting them. While I had the legs out I needed to make clearance slots for the 2 dog holes on each side of the left side leg. ...
Well, the tops have taken longer than I anticipated. But it has turned out nice. The original Short Block V8 designed with a Torsten box top but I wanted a solid top. After lots of consideration I decided that I wanted the top to be Baltic Birch laminated on edge for the top. This would be consistent with the leg construction and would make for a very solid top. However this presented an issue as Baltic Birch is not cheap (best price here in Oregon, USA is $55.00 for a 5×5’ sheet...
For this Art Nouveau coffee table base system I’m using African Mahogany Hardwoods. A lot of planning went into figuring out the joinery. Half of the wood will be grinded away to get the large curves and shapes to blend together for this art nouveau style. By pin nailing hardwood blocking around the bottom back legs with two 45 degree angles also around the tenons. I was able to use had saws to do most of the cutting. The drill press really came in handy for drilling out the mortise ...
Well, did a bit of saw work today. Figured up I needed 3 boards @ 3/4” x 5-1/2” x 25” Circular saw did the work, after I had clamped the 8’ long plank in place. Had enough left over to form the back apron. Dry fit in the pipe clamps, looks good, spread some yellow glue around and clamp them up. Later, after the glue had cured, started to surface the top. A few handplanes to do the job. Had some “marks” on one board that needed to go… ...
This year the project for our park model was a new deck. This grouping of photos show how I built it- but not the conventional way. I designed it to have drawers below for storage and wanted the railing on the outside of the deck the carpet could be easily changed in the future. Here is what we started with: I used my laser mount (http://lumberjocks.com/projects/109042) to set the level line to start: And then I built small rectangles with 2×4”s and connected top and bott...
So this is taking too long, I’m impatient. I called the wood supplier last week and was told that more 8/4 hard maple would be in the store on Tuesday. I called Tuesday and was told Wednesday. Called Wednesday and was told Thursday. I give up, so I went south to anther supplier in Eugene and I was only able to find one suitable board to complete the legs and one really nice 8/4 piece of walnut for the chop and the deadman. While I was there I got a call from the shop in portland that th...
Like many of us I have looked at all of those pictures of other people’s roubo workbenches with a jealous eye for quite some time. The ones built with Benchcrafted hardware just seemed to be top notch in quality, and they look like woodworker candy. I’ve had this build on my to-do list since 2011 because I don’t have a woodworking bench with woodworking vises or anything to hold my work down. I’m forced to use my old Unisaw as a bench and the best I can do is use a cla...
I started by using 1/2” birch veneer ply to build the sides. I cut three 1/2” dados along each side 1/4” deep for the shelves and base and the cut the shelves to measure and glued the all in place. The top I lapped over 1/2” on each side and 1” to the front to accommodate the door and drawer fronts.
I have sleep apnea and currently just use a simple stand for my CPAP machine. I thought is would be wise to build a nightstand to put it in to help reduce the noise of the pump hum to help give my wife a good nights sleep as well so I designed a nightstand to contain my CPAP machine in a felt lined area to make it virtually sound proof as well as a drawer to contain all the spares and bits and bobs. Have a look.
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1527 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 94 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1552 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 394 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- mafe - 260 entries
- William - 258 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- shipwright - 211 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 199 entries
- stefang - 187 entries
- Rustic - 186 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 181 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 166 entries