After finishing the face frame, I knew it was time to build some doors to make the station look a little more complete and also keep dust out. Because of the shop vacs, the plan is to only build 5 doors, that way there will still be enough airflowfor the vacuum to work properly. The first step was to route a bunch of pieces for the frame. When cutting a bunch of pieces that need to be the same measurements, I find it’s easiest to stack them up and cut all at once. Afte...
I have been trying to make progress on getting the face frame attached so that I can begin the doors and drawers. Unfortunately, it has gone slower than usual, which is why there has been such a long time between posts. I have compared this process to the Johnny Cash song “One Piece at a Time”, because on most days that was all I was able to do… One piece at a time. Anywho, the process was pretty straightforward: Cut pieces, glue, nail gun, pocket holes from the back. ...
Sorry to do back-to-back entries, but haven’t had much time to post anything for the last week. Anyways, I realized that this was going to get heavy use, and wanted to be able to reinforce the frame with something more than just glue. However, I did not think of that before I assembled each cabinet, so I was left to improvise: Some spots were harder to get in to than others… And don’t mind that extra large dado… The trim will cover that! After finishin...
Accepting the fact that I was not going to finish the entire job before shool starts, I decided it was most important to get a few coats of finish on the main cavities before the kids come back to school on Tuesday. I started with the top, as that is the most important and will require at least 3 coats. I went with Minwax Special Walnut stain, which so happened to win “Tooch’s favorite stain of the year” from 2005-2012. As the stain was drying, I took some time to a...
Earlier this spring, my dad brought over his old cabinets that he’d used for his shop workbench. He’s had these longer than I can even remember and is finally upgrading his set up at his shop and offered them to me. I’ve been wanting to build a miter saw station and was planning on trying the Jay Bates station when I had the funds available to buy all of the necessary lumber. Now that I have these cabinets, I’m going to utilize them to do a sort of hybrid version ...
So my last work session saw a lot of good progress on this project, but we are far from done. I needed to finish a support cabinet on either side of each miter saw, as well as a small space to house the Oneida. Let’s start with the basic layout of the base cabinets And then we assemble and add stability: Angle brackets were made.with plywood and a pocket hole jig: A small support.in the bottom to prevent sagging…. After the cabinet went together, it was time to atta...
Yesterday, New Years Eve day, I had a few hours to spend in the shop to finish up some stuff and organize for the beginning of the new year. It’s been difficult getting all the time in the shop I’d like with the holidays here and having two very elderly parents who now have a lot of need of assistance, but it’s all good as long as they’re still here. I finally completed the miter saw station to the point where it’s fully functioning with the fence system, all...
So I have a small area in my garage for my shop, so my tools really need to be mobile. I have a miter saw that is on a fixed stand and very clunky to move around, as well as really being to low to work on comfortably. I also have a rolling tool cart! So I took off the upper portion of the cart and I am in the process of building a portable miter saw station on top of the tool cart. The next video will be the fold-down wings after I get some other pressing projects taken care of! If...
Whew! Finally figured out this whole blog series thing :O Yesterday and today was all about building the casework for the miter saw station. Realizing that the floor is less than even across it’s surface, not level from side to side and the casework is almost 10’ long, I decided to make the assembly in three parts. This will allow me to use leveling feet on each cabinet to compensate for the unevenness of the floor across the length of the whole assembly. I’ll first ...
Hello folks. Been frequenting LJ for a while, looking for answers to questions, inspiration and to view the many interesting and truly craft worthy and artistic projects posted here. I’m somewhat retired from the construction industry – trained architect turned developer. I’ve run large scale projects on the Empire State Building to small development projects. However I’m mostly a frustrated woodworker at heart. My first attempt ever, at woodworking was back in ...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1814 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Toy costruction - 130 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 115 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 98 parts
- Woodworking on a Half-Shoestring - 91 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 82 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1839 entries
- dbhost - 448 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- mafe - 322 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- Dave Rutan - 265 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 254 entries
- robscastle - 253 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 222 entries
- stefang - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- bandit571 - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries