Mainly setting up jigs and stops..and more jigs. Had a lot of parts to make, and half of them had to look like this, on one end. The trick was how to get them all done…quickly.. This is what I needed to make…times 24. I had 12 short rails that needed a tenon on both ends. This one was done the old, slow way. Needed something a little bit faster, and..have them all match each other. I used the “prototype” to help set a couple stops on the mitre box.. mainly...
Plus a few other chores were started. Corner posts were hit with the stanley 45’s sash cutter.. First I needed to joint and edge, and flatten the sawn face. Then run the sash cutter a bit. Then some lay-out work I transferred rail locations from side #1 to these posts, I also found the angle to cut the bottom foot detail.. One was a hair off, took care of that later, time for a LOT of chisel work.. tools used, amongst of things. Square, a mallet, and a bandaid..Got...
Ok, spent a bit over 2 hours in the shop today. Since the rails were all ready to go, might as well get them done. Still had the stanley 45 set up, so a lot of this type of work was done.. But, being a Monday, has having a problem with this set up. Not with the plane, but how I was holding the part to be planed….too many screw holes. Decided to address that problem.. Piece of 1×6 scrap, held flush with the top of the bench. Two screws to attach. Now, it doesnR...
After a few other items were taken care of. Got an early wake up call this morning. Seems one of the Shop Cats caught a small Black Bat. She even brought it upstairs to show off her catch….squeaking all the time….of course, the bat got away from her. Finally trapped the little critter under a broom. And with the help of the dust pan to hold the critter, I did a Catch & Release, right out the back door of the house. Last seen, the bat was flying west, as fast as it...
Ok, last night, I snuck back to the shop…did a bit of chisel work. But wasn’t happy with the results.. And decided to “daylight” the mortise into a dado. I kept the waste piece, added some glue, and a clamp, and let it sit all night.. Then today, I removed the clamp, and worked on a few more dados. Nothing fancy to them, just a lot of chisel work.. laid out to match the tenon that will go here. Last night I had #4 and #3 done. This is for #2. Wide ch...
Muddle through a bit more with that Stanley #45…..wasn’t quite right. But.. I had these four to get done, somehow. Came up with the idea that IF I drilled a hole where the tenons will be, I could then attach the part to the side of the bench, so the fence wouldn’t hit anything along the way… needed to countersink for the screws. Tried a few more times with the 45… Things still weren’t quite right. Tenons were cut on the few blanks I did get ...
A bit of woodworking, too. Was at a standstill on moving things around, decided to at least start on the chest of drawers build. I had an old pine 4×4 in the shop. Decided I could resaw it down for a few parts. Trying to get a few 4/4 by 2” wide blanks made up. Once those were resawn, I had to plane them smooth and square, well, at least ONE was done. I also set up a fancy plane, to do a bit of molding work on the now squared up blank… A Stanley No.45, with tha...
Hi all! I’ve recently made myself a set of jaws for my engineering vice to make it more usable for woodworking. These jaws increase the surface area contacting the workpiece and adds pieces of leather for extra grip. I’m very happy with how they turned out and would love to know what you think of them! View on YouTube
Alaskan Chainsaw Mill V2.0 is going to be a follow on to the review I posted around this time last year. It seems to have been fairly liked considering it now shows up on Google within the first page of search results. Just type in “Chainsaw Mill” into Google and you will see it within a scroll or two. I’ll thank you all on Lumberjocks for that. Note: some of the images are large but if you right click on them and “Open image in new tab.” You will be able to see...
Ok, not much for a picture today,maybe later on. Need to move and remove a few things in the shop. Can’t do a whole lot over by the Lathe bench. Too much other junk in place. However.. I can empty out, and clean up Tool Chest #1, and have it taken upstairs as a Hope Chest. I can remove a couple power tools from one spot, place them where the plane til is. Then place the power tools where the til used to be. I may have enough room to move the brace til over beside the pla...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1815 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Toy costruction - 130 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 115 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 98 parts
- Woodworking on a Half-Shoestring - 91 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 82 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1840 entries
- dbhost - 448 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- mafe - 322 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- Dave Rutan - 265 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 254 entries
- robscastle - 253 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 222 entries
- stefang - 221 entries
- bandit571 - 213 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries