A while back, I posted my sliding crosscut sled, but then I later built another sled that slid over both sides of the blade. The original sled was just to the left of the blade and left a cutoff piece to dance around and connect with the blade a few times. I found the perfect use for the old one sided sled at the band saw. I had to make a new runner, but the old one popped off easy enough. I cut it down to 12” wide and moved the end clamp closer to the left so it would not be off bal...
I had some problems cutting my mitered table top. I used an Incra miter gauge but had trouble holding the piece firmly. I have a shop built miter sled, but because the pieces are small, they don’t lie well against the fence. I bit the bullet and bought the Incra miter express sled. I’m not doing a review here but I like the sled. I felt very safe using it. The only problem I had was binding in my miter slot. I have a Craftsman Hybrid TS. It has a granite top. I may have to ...
The plans I’m following call for table tops made up of glued-up boards. I have some very nice Qsawn oak boards with very straight grain. I thought it would look better if I mitered and rotated pieces along the board so the grain would “follow” around the perimeter of the tops. I like my miter saw so I cut the boards for the smallest table using it. Well for some reason I got some flex in my blade so the cut is not perfectly straight. I’m using a thin kerf 12” ...
I recently came back from spending a couple months in Kansas for work. On one of my weekend trips to an antique store, I found this lonely, broken miter saw tucked in a dark corner. You can see the broke handle, but you can’t see the horrendous rust on the back side. For $10, I decided to give it a new home. Of course, if the saw knew what I was planning to do to it, it might not have agreed to follow me out of the store. Since I already have a Disston miter very similar to t...
Made some more progress on the dresser last night. Installed the hardwood drawer slides, back and base. I was concerned about the base having 45 degree miters, as I have never really had too much success with miters. The front base is a three piece base. Since I was concerned about the miters being accurate, I wanted to have the flexibility of creating the middle run separate. This worked out OK, but not as well as I wanted it to. Some sanding will help alleviate noticeable cracks and ...
There have been quite a few times that the long list of Wood Working Celebrities have commented on what it takes to become a good wood worker. The one common quote usually goes a little something like this. Stop (watching / reading, ) my (show / blog), getup and get into your shop and get woodworking This type of quote has been issued time and time again, and I realized that I have been sitting in my living room and watching these shows and reading these blogs more than I had gotten i...
After a very early morning and a good day working away from my normal 40 hour a week job. I was able to spend the latter half of yesterday working on my bench. I managed to get the skirts cut, and installed. I did not glue the sides on or the top on. Here is the results…. How do you guys like that Japanese angle guide. It was worth the $55 I paid for it, and will never leave my toolbox. The bottom picture shows how my bench is different from Mr. Sellers’...
Moulding the stock Following up from the video film on the strength of these mitres. These are the steps I took to make this picture-frame moulded and inlaid stock and the frame itself. It’s dead straight forward using a pair of wooden T&G planes, a moulding plane, a tenon saw and a plane. You can make a simple shooting board with stop screwed to a board at 45-degrees or a proper one with removable stops. I took about 45 minutes to make it. Mould the stock with the moulding plane. I...
I had a Ryobi 14 Amp 10 in. Compound Mitre Saw. It was working fine but could only cut a max of 5 inches wide boards. I was in the market for a new on but all of the sliding miter saw was so costly. I even considered a Harbor Freight one, but even at that it was a $100 and more for one. I decided to check out craigslist.com and found a Kobalt one there for s feel. Well, after I got home I found out why it was so cheap – it was not square. I tried a couple of time to square it up but it...
Well…on my last blog I posted the pic of my box, and that was after I finished it up today…I used an alcohol based stain on the lid that I make up myself, left the base unstained and then gave it a coat of wax…I used car wax on this one…mainly because I have it, and also because my van is in such a state that I’m sure the wax would never do it any good. Today started off with “What am I gonna do today?”....I have several things that I want to do, b...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1262 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 94 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 88 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Just for Fun... - 82 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 73 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1284 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 388 entries
- dbhost - 368 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 311 entries
- Karson - 301 entries
- Martin Sojka - 297 entries
- William - 255 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- mafe - 216 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 187 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- Rustic - 183 entries
- shipwright - 168 entries
- PurpLev - 163 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 159 entries
- stefang - 148 entries