I’d been meaning to start posting blog entries since I joined LJ last week but since I write around 15,000 words a day to start with, I’ve been content just posting pictures of the crap I’ve cobbled together (notice I didn’t say “built” or any other verb that would suggest craftsmanship). So, while my originally-intended introduction entry is pretty much on my bio, I’m just going to spew forth here a little bit in the hope of venting some frustrati...
It was certainly full of sound and fury for about 15 minutes, but perhaps it signifies something – like me learning yet another lesson… :-) I spent most of the summer since July 4th away from home – in sunny San Jose, California. No, not a vacation, but working away on software, as usual. (Not that I didn’t enjoy the weather which was its usual monotonous perfection, but I hate living in a hotel). I finally am back home and taking a few days off. I swore I would get out in...
The first milestone was when I launched the bowl earlier in the process. The second milestone was when I tried making the inside larger than the outside. But only on one side. All is not lost. I think I can cut the top down and it’s not as lopsided on the bottom so I can get a short bowl out of my efforts.
There are many parts of this project I do not want to discuss, mostly because they all involve mistakes. With this project I unfortunately made many stupid errors regarding dimensions and process of operations, but in ways that are rudimentary to woodworking. I tried to recover and hide these though thinking about the saying that being a good woodworker is not about making no mistakes, its about how well you can fix the mistakes you make. One of these mistakes came from a lack of room in...
Well I had to go back and re design the case once again. I got a comment from Mark Shymanski asking if the boards to these games fit in the case. I of course went and got my board games to test the fit out and realized that a few of them where a bit larger then the case. I had originally designed the case to have enough space between the closed drawers and the sliding front to fit large boards. But in the process of making the case I forgot about this detail. I decided I would go back and ...
Today Harbor Freight had a 25% off coupon. I used mine to buy a mini wood lathe. My best friend was with me and he bought a set of chisels for me as my birthday gift. I’m so excited, and already very covered in saw dust and wood shavings. Naturally, I tried to just jump in, I mean I’ve used my itty bitty Dremmel lathe before. I made a HUGE mess of a scrap of 2×4. Then I came inside at my friend’s urging, watched a few Jet videos on YouTube, and went back out to the g...
There’s a new post on the Little Good Pieces blog: “What I Screwed Up this Week, October 29, 2010”. This is the last installment of the Outfeed Table series, and covers one last mistake. Check it out! http://littlegoodpieces.wordpress.com/2010/10/29/what-i-screwed-up-this-week/
There’s a new post on the Little Good Pieces Blog: What I Screwed Up This Week. This is the first in a series documenting my personal workshop mistakes, and how I dealt with them. Check out today’s foul-up, and offer commentary or suggestions! http://littlegoodpieces.wordpress.com/2010/10/07/what-i-screwed-up-this-week-october-7-2010/
Sometimes “mistakes” can actually be opportunities in disguise. One example was Edison’s attempt to make a telegraphic-telephonic repeating and recording device, it didn’t work, but when somebody gave it a spin it sounded like human speech. Edison started from that chance observation and developed the phonograph. It can also happen in the shop. In my latest project posting “I had Twins!” I turned would could have been a disaster into a chance to ge...
After last week’s ongoing progress, it felt a bit slow this week (which it is), but I did have some things I wanted to share, and also was able to finish the base with 3 coats of BLO which is what I’m going to keep on it for conditioning the wood, and protecting it from moisture. Mistake #1: Drawboring to the wrong side (cringe) 2 legs on each side of the base are connected together using 2 short rails. The top one is using a sliding dovetail, while the lower one uses M&T. ...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1558 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 96 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- ScrollSaw Information and Resources - 68 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1583 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 395 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- mafe - 275 entries
- William - 258 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- shipwright - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 199 entries
- stefang - 188 entries
- Rustic - 188 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 181 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 175 entries