After pattern routing the long arched rails, it was time to turn my attention to the top. I started with 6/4 stock, all from the same log. Biscuits were placed every 6” to help with alignment and add strength. I once did an experiment with biscuits – joined two boards with biscuits (no glue) and soaked them in water for a while. I took it around to each family member to see if they could pull the boards apart—- and none could. I took the top over to Creative Woodwo...
I wanted to design an arts and crafts dining table that included arched rails and twin keyed tenons. I like several of the Stickley tables, but wanted something original. I like the feel of Keven Rodel’s Talesien desk, which served as inspiration for this table. The stack of parts is growing… Initial frame assembly… And the tabletop glueup…
It’s been a busy and productive past two days. Got all my stock to dimension and ready to go. Cut everything to length with my uber awesome “miter station”... Oh yeah, look at my built in stop blocks baby! I’m a tenon’s first kind of guy. My only reasoning, and not sure how good it is, is I like to take the pieces with tenons, and use those in 3D for the layouts of my Mortises. With a piece like this with a lot of slats, I feel it’s easier that wa...
So, this past while I’ve been busy with finishing up school, packing to get ready to move, and starting my work term/summer job at Added Touch Stairs and Floors. The final step and the work I did on the last day at school, was milling the lumber for the side rails, and mounting the hardware. My teachers were exclaiming “Are we ever gonna get to see this thing put together! C’mon c’mon!”. Sure enough about an hour later I was getting help putting it together, my f...
Alright, did a lot of work the past while, even though it seems like I haven’t. I’ve been busy working!I started with the footboard, I first lined all the slats up in between the rails. This was probably one of the most frustrating parts of this whole project. Once I got them all pretty well in there, I attached the rails to the legs and that sorted out the slats for the most part. Once I did that, I noticed that my mortises and slats and stuff didn’t quite look as nice a...
Okay, so big update here. i did a lot of work the past couple days, and, a lot of milling. I swear, if theres such a thing as being a pro at milling, I’m it. First off, i got the legs finished up; tapered, chamfered, sanded, mortised. After that i got starting on a lot of milling, first longer boards to glued up in pairs to make the rails.Then, a pile of smallers pieces milled to 1/2” thick x 2” wide x 20 3/4” long, to make this pile of slats.This material started o...
So, I’ve started the bed and its been going pretty good so far. I had all the stock that i had already bought (still need to find a few pieces and pick up the hardward, however its not Really needed until the end, so im not worried about it) resting in the shop for about 10 days which is good! The wood im using for the this project is Poplar, its easy enough to work with, it stains up beautifully, and was readily available and on the lower end of the price market. Onto the woodworkin...
The table assembly is now complete. Since the leaves store in the table, the aprons needed to be hinged. I used short piano (continuous) hinges from hardware source.com. The hinges are 4.5” long, and lock at 90 degrees, similar to jewlery box hinges. I used inset rare earth magnets to lock the hinged aprons in there in-use positions. Felt lines the frame, which creates a nice little nest for the leaves. The table extends to accept two 12” leaves v...
Noticed a Wheatley Bear tile on eBay and sent Merridee a message that it matched her Elk tile piece.... She bought it and now I’m making her another frame to match. Today I reproduced the design. Her original AutoCad file was lost a couple hard drives ago. Back in the desktop – pre- laptop era >grin<.I still have some 2×2 Grueby tiles in my collection and even a Grueby Green rectangle. more pieces in Merridee’s house
The dining table is well underway, with the frame assembled and equilizer slides installed. I think there are some misconceptions about equilizer slides. They work for pedastal tables, or any design where the legs are stationary when opening the table. I had to do some searching to find slides that would accomodate this 46” wide by 104” long table. It will have two 12” leaves, and is 80” long when closed. The other spec I needed was...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1372 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Just for Fun... - 84 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1395 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 393 entries
- dbhost - 389 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- mafe - 228 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 190 entries
- Rustic - 185 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- shipwright - 180 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 166 entries
- PurpLev - 163 entries
- stefang - 158 entries