Well all 17 metres of Gum tree (see this post) have been sliced and are sitting in my drying room. In my previous posts I showed some of the beautiful slabs I cut out of logs that would otherwise have landed in the garbage dump, and just for kicks, here are a few more. ... And here are some pics of the process....Now we wait for many months until they are dry enough to be turned into projects.
So, yesterday while slabbing some Eucalyptus where is was felled in town, our local feller stopped by to ask if I wanted some log sections of a tree they had just felled. When I asked what it was he didn’t know, but promised to fine out from one of our local tree experts. True to his word, he drove by half an hour later and told me it was New Zealand Kauri Pine. I knew nothing about it, but his best chainsaw man told me it was quite hard, and the sample he had with him looked quite...
A bad flu and a business trip later, and I still haven’t laminated this darn thing! Not for lack of trying, but being the rookie, I definitely underestimated the time and effort requried in milling 6ft long lumber. My jointer is up for the task; the total table length is 46” so there should be no major lack of capacity…but I never realized that jointing long lumber was a challenge…getting rid of even the smallest high spots is tough…especially with a softwood l...
We all (should) know that wood naturally has some internal stresses that on occasion cause the wood to warp in various ways. These stresses NORMALLY tend to surface during moisture changes or sometimes during removal of sections of a board or plank. Well yesterday wood stress nearly made me cr@p myself. So there I was, happily slabbing away at some beautiful Eucalyptus (see previous 2 posts). Relief was coursing through me as I neared the end of a cut knowing I could take a few minute...
I have only ever dealt with smallish pieces of already dried Saligna, and my current slabbing operation is teaching me a few things.First – Fresh-cut Eucalyptus is HARD. It took us about 30-40 minutes to cut each of the approximately 3m slabs.Second – Fresh-cut Eucalyptus dulls chainsaw blades quite quickly. I was getting less than 2 slabs per sharpening. That’s ridiculous - I slabbed the whole Yellowwood trunk without needing to sharpen the chain even once.Third – S...
Yesterday, just for interest, I measured the trunk sections that were given to me for milling. These 7 pieces of tree trunk total a touch over 17 metres..The smallest diameter is at the tailgate and is 175mm (7”) and the largest trunk diameter (in the foreground) excluding the sections that stick out from branches is 630mm (25”). Sections of chopped off branches protrude up to 300mm from the main trunk, and are giving me a few issues as my Alaskan can only handle 600mm wide cu...
My oldest daughter is pregnant with our first grand baby, a boy. The wife is excited-just a bit. So I’ve been sidetracked from the kitchen upgrade and drum sander and am now working on a toy chest. This is the wood I have to work with-reclaimed pallet pine. This is what it looks like after I get done cleaning it up. It mills down to just under a 1X3. A bit more gluing up for the panel, I think 2 extra boards per side. It cleans up real nice. All of the knots are tight. Th...
Our local tree feller called unexpectedly yesterday to ask if I would like some Eucalyptus that was going to go to the dump, but they couldn’t bear to see such good wood go to waste. Obviously the answer was yes !!!!!! So they brought me a trailer load of old dry trunk sections, some of which have started rotting on the outer sections. There is still some good usable wood inside, so it is on my list to do. After I showed them the Yellowwood they brought me a couple of weeks ago,...
Dovetail Pen Progress Success!! It took a few more tries but I finally have a set of pen blanks worth of being assembled into a final writing instrument. Some more issues that I have run into along the way are: Working with Padauk and CA glue – I found that when I was applying the CA glue to the blanks to stabilize the chipout that the glue would pick up the color from the Padauk. This in effect became a “stain” that would penetrate the Maple and start to turn it pink. I solved this ...
Dovetail Pen Progress Pictures. OK, I managed to get a few pictures off the camera. Just bare with me, this is my “garage” camera so the resolution/quality is not top notch. The three following picture are: #1 – My collection of dovetailed pen blanks. End to end joints for the dovetails. #2 – A closeup of some of the chipout I experienced along the joint seams. You can see the CA glue that I used to solve this issue in the picture. #3 – Finished pen blanks, first attempt. In this pi...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1462 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 93 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1486 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 394 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- mafe - 236 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- shipwright - 198 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 197 entries
- Rustic - 186 entries
- stefang - 185 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 176 entries
- PurpLev - 163 entries