My oldest daughter is pregnant with our first grand baby, a boy. The wife is excited-just a bit. So I’ve been sidetracked from the kitchen upgrade and drum sander and am now working on a toy chest. This is the wood I have to work with-reclaimed pallet pine. This is what it looks like after I get done cleaning it up. It mills down to just under a 1X3. A bit more gluing up for the panel, I think 2 extra boards per side. It cleans up real nice. All of the knots are tight. Th...
Our local tree feller called unexpectedly yesterday to ask if I would like some Eucalyptus that was going to go to the dump, but they couldn’t bear to see such good wood go to waste. Obviously the answer was yes !!!!!! So they brought me a trailer load of old dry trunk sections, some of which have started rotting on the outer sections. There is still some good usable wood inside, so it is on my list to do. After I showed them the Yellowwood they brought me a couple of weeks ago,...
Dovetail Pen Progress Success!! It took a few more tries but I finally have a set of pen blanks worth of being assembled into a final writing instrument. Some more issues that I have run into along the way are: Working with Padauk and CA glue – I found that when I was applying the CA glue to the blanks to stabilize the chipout that the glue would pick up the color from the Padauk. This in effect became a “stain” that would penetrate the Maple and start to turn it pink. I solved this ...
Dovetail Pen Progress Pictures. OK, I managed to get a few pictures off the camera. Just bare with me, this is my “garage” camera so the resolution/quality is not top notch. The three following picture are: #1 – My collection of dovetailed pen blanks. End to end joints for the dovetails. #2 – A closeup of some of the chipout I experienced along the joint seams. You can see the CA glue that I used to solve this issue in the picture. #3 – Finished pen blanks, first attempt. In this pi...
I was recently gifted 4 Claro Walnut logs. When i went to pick them up, I found there were 7, not four. They were from 24” D to 40”D. All were from 5’-6” to 7’6” L. Yesterday I took them to the sawyer. 3 hours later I have some of the most beautiful slabs. About 40% were cut into 4/4 flitches. Another 40% were cut into 5/4 flitches. The remainder were specifically cut for turning. 15 pieces for turning, 8/4, 10/4, 12/4, 16/4, 20/4 one at 24/4. I...
Do you remember this picture from Rescued Wood #4 ?..Well, I’ve slabbed it and stacked it for drying.. I cut the boards 30mm thick so that I can have wide boards a good 1” available after final milling. This post is about my stacking method, but I can’t resist showing off some of the beauty exposed by the milling.. First Cut. Tornado Flame grain.To give you a good size reference.After slabbing the whole lot, I put them back together in sequence (including one of t...
Further to my Yellowwood windfall, I slabbed the first log yesterday. I chose to cut the largest of the “small” pieces, as it promised to contain an interesting crotch grain. I carefully measured my cuts to get as close as possible to the centre lines of the main trunk and the forks to get a book matched pair of slabs at the centre. First cutYes, interesting crotch grain. Book matched centreI set these two in the sun for this photo as the pictures in the shade are quite ...
<small>Find more videos like this on WOODTube</small>
OK, I turned a bunch of slimline pens as gifts for my coworkers. Now I am moving on to something more complicated. I know it’s a bit soon but I love learing new woodworking skills and the challenge of delving into the unkown. I will blog about my adventure of making a “Dovetail” pen here. The first thing that I learned is how to do end on end dovetailing. More complicated than it looks to join two boards, end on end, flat. Not the usual 90 deg angle like in box const...
As a new member here, I figured that I should share the project I am working on. I am by no means a luthier, or a highly skilled woodworker (yet). This is something that I have wanted to do for a long time. It started by felling an ash tree a few years ago and getting it milled into boards. Here I am in my large workshop planing the boards to thickness. Note the fancy chip/dust collector. Did my first bookmatch ever! Made a core from maple. glueing the back to the ...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1406 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Just for Fun... - 86 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1430 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 394 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- mafe - 230 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 195 entries
- Rustic - 186 entries
- shipwright - 185 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- stefang - 174 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 168 entries
- PurpLev - 163 entries