Apologies for mangling French irretrievably there just to force out a pun…. The doors presented a few logistical challenges. Surprisingly, the internal rebate angles were the least of these. The largest challenge was in the form of how best to clamp the main outer frame whilst gluing. The frame comprises morticed hinge and lock stiles with two tenoned upper/lower rails. (the mortice and tenon sizes increased in height which the drawing does not indicate) Prior to any shapin...
Not a huge amount to add today I’m afraid. The main carcase of the cabinet has had its medium sanding completed (up to 240 grit) and the first guide layer of wax added. I’m genuinely not sure whether this is a valid or efficient method of using wax (it certainly uses up a lot of it) however it produces far superior results than those from the instructions or other methods I’ve picked up. My waxing procedure is to start early. Once all the glueup and sanding that alters fo...
Well, got the top almost flat on the “face side” the other day Used a scrub jack plane to get things down to almost flat, other than all them scalloped areas. Got out a little bit bigger, and wider jack plane. This time, it is used like a try plane, going at the diagonals to the grain, until all them scallops are gone. Top still wanted to bow up a bit, so I clamped that end down flat, and left it sit a while…. Well this evening, flipped the top over to work on t...
and maybe another table to build?Piled up the “supplies” on the bench. Found a couple other boards as well A couple short 2×4s (legs?) and some assorted 1xs. Those long things in back? Are a couple 3/4” x 6” x 120-1/2” planks of pine. Took the cleaned up 2×4 x36” out of the vise, cleared the benchtop of the rest. Placed the Gray 2×4 x 48” in the vise to joint both edges. Will do the rest of it after it is cut down to le...
Hi everyone! I’ve been somewhat out of radio contact due to pressing work for my degree and working on a business startup…. Between then (when was the last post?) and now, the entire piece was constructed in Solidworks, had the bugs refined out (mostly avoiding work overcomplication and basic logistics), ripped apart and reconstructed. Very little has changed from the original dimensions and layout. The recipient of the largest changes were the doors in terms of the muntin/mull...
Finally got some pictures taken of the cutting process so here is the promised blog .This is the is the cutter I use ( CMT box joint cutter set ) This is the sliding jig riding on the fence cheek ,glued and screwed together and nice and square to the fence with no play which is very imported.The cutter installed and tilted to 45 DEG. and a insert just for this cutting operation.Notice the pencil mark on the insert which indicates the setting of the fence for the first cut. The indexing...
Hello all! Let me begin by saying that this is not an original idea, many have done this before…this is just my attempt of it that I have been tossing around in my head for quite a long time now… I’ve researched online, and I was looking for a way to do this without a forge involved…my friend has one, but I believe that I can shape the knives without losing the temper if I’m careful not to let the metal get too hot. I started with some vintage files/rasps ...
Yesterday I took the end cap and cut out two mortises first using a spade bit and then chiseling it square. I had to trim the tenons down a bit to fit in, and when I was squaring the small mortise, part of the end grain wall broke away leaving me with a big gap. I really didn’t want to make another end cap and do all of this work again, so I think I’m going to go with it for now. If I decide later I can’t live with it, I can just take it off and make another o...
Well, the tops have taken longer than I anticipated. But it has turned out nice. The original Short Block V8 designed with a Torsten box top but I wanted a solid top. After lots of consideration I decided that I wanted the top to be Baltic Birch laminated on edge for the top. This would be consistent with the leg construction and would make for a very solid top. However this presented an issue as Baltic Birch is not cheap (best price here in Oregon, USA is $55.00 for a 5×5’ sheet...
(Quite a few pics with this blog) I guess I am a cheap and a glutton for punishment. Off cuts of poplar, red grandis, and a tiny bit of maple from a local cabinet shop. Plus some white and red oak scraps i had on hand. After jointing, planing, ripping and squaring the ends. Then laid out so the butted seams are offset. Starting the glue up of 1 of 3 7” laminations. Lamination 2 of 3 Gluing up after jointing and planing the 3 laminations. Cu...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1583 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 96 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- ScrollSaw Information and Resources - 68 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1608 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 396 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- mafe - 278 entries
- William - 258 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- shipwright - 213 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 199 entries
- stefang - 198 entries
- Rustic - 188 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 185 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 176 entries