Finally got some pictures taken of the cutting process so here is the promised blog .This is the is the cutter I use ( CMT box joint cutter set ) This is the sliding jig riding on the fence cheek ,glued and screwed together and nice and square to the fence with no play which is very imported.The cutter installed and tilted to 45 DEG. and a insert just for this cutting operation.Notice the pencil mark on the insert which indicates the setting of the fence for the first cut. The indexing...
Hello all! Let me begin by saying that this is not an original idea, many have done this before…this is just my attempt of it that I have been tossing around in my head for quite a long time now… I’ve researched online, and I was looking for a way to do this without a forge involved…my friend has one, but I believe that I can shape the knives without losing the temper if I’m careful not to let the metal get too hot. I started with some vintage files/rasps ...
Yesterday I took the end cap and cut out two mortises first using a spade bit and then chiseling it square. I had to trim the tenons down a bit to fit in, and when I was squaring the small mortise, part of the end grain wall broke away leaving me with a big gap. I really didn’t want to make another end cap and do all of this work again, so I think I’m going to go with it for now. If I decide later I can’t live with it, I can just take it off and make another o...
Well, the tops have taken longer than I anticipated. But it has turned out nice. The original Short Block V8 designed with a Torsten box top but I wanted a solid top. After lots of consideration I decided that I wanted the top to be Baltic Birch laminated on edge for the top. This would be consistent with the leg construction and would make for a very solid top. However this presented an issue as Baltic Birch is not cheap (best price here in Oregon, USA is $55.00 for a 5×5’ sheet...
(Quite a few pics with this blog) I guess I am a cheap and a glutton for punishment. Off cuts of poplar, red grandis, and a tiny bit of maple from a local cabinet shop. Plus some white and red oak scraps i had on hand. After jointing, planing, ripping and squaring the ends. Then laid out so the butted seams are offset. Starting the glue up of 1 of 3 7” laminations. Lamination 2 of 3 Gluing up after jointing and planing the 3 laminations. Cu...
I forgot to update last week. I didn’t get much done because I was busy fixing a mistake. In episode 6 I showed a picture of the end tenon and the lead screw channel cut out. The weird thing is that the huge mortise cut into the end of the tenon. The mortise was too wide and I didn’t notice until last week I was thinking about it when I was in bed. That’s when I do my best thinking. I got up in the morning and checked the drawing and I was right. The drawing says the mortise...
Well, thanks to being allowed back at my “day job”, not too much has been done. I did get the stretcher glued into place.. And the front and back edges of the top jointed down level with the bread board edges Let the glue set up for a day or two ( Doctor visits and tests ) then attached the top. I figured it would be easier to do it now, rather than wiggle in past the runners for the drawer. Got the front of the drawer sized and fitted to the table. So I decided to...
It has been a while sense I have posted any thing. I hope not to be a stranger. Life is crazy with all the travel and all the other stuff that I do. It seems like I only have time for family and business. Just got back from the symposium. It was their first and it went great! Met lots of new people. I think my favorite moments are when I get to meet people who have been my clients for years and I get to meet them in person for the first time. and of course seeing old friends that I only ge...
Well, did a bit of saw work today. Figured up I needed 3 boards @ 3/4” x 5-1/2” x 25” Circular saw did the work, after I had clamped the 8’ long plank in place. Had enough left over to form the back apron. Dry fit in the pipe clamps, looks good, spread some yellow glue around and clamp them up. Later, after the glue had cured, started to surface the top. A few handplanes to do the job. Had some “marks” on one board that needed to go… ...
Last night I snuck out to the shop to take the clamps from the front top that I glued up earlier that day and used them to glue up two of the legs. I just had to get it done before bed. This morning I just let them sit as I had other stuff to do. I started with flattening the bottom surface of the front top. I had to run it across the jointer in halves like I did with the back top and I thought I did ok but I realized that after running the top surface through the planer, that surface was...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1523 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 94 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1548 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 394 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- mafe - 258 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- shipwright - 211 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 199 entries
- stefang - 187 entries
- Rustic - 186 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 181 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 166 entries