At long last, we have reached journey’s end :-) I apologize for taking so long to get this last entry done but life got in the way the past few weeks so I’ve been squeezing in working on this plane as I’m able. She’s complete and ready to go to work though! At the end of the last entry, we had flattened the sole and squared the sides up to it. I spent some time working up through some higher grades of abrasive. I’m not going to go into detail on that, just...
Well we’ve finished most of our grunt work. All that’s left to do is finish up the base and get this guy ready to make some shavings! The next thing to do is to flatten the sole of the plane and to polish up the sides (maybe flatten them as well depending on what the planes going to be used for). We’ll handle that in a later entry but before we do that, we’re going to put this plane back together. Why do I reassemble it before working on the rest of the body? ...
Last time we got our iron worked up and ready to go to work. However, the iron can’t work on its own. It needs a chipbreaker. What for? Well, in my estimation, 2 things. First, the chip breaker lends structural support to the iron. It basically acts as a spring stiffener to the pretty thin tool steel the iron is made of. The 2nd job of the chipbreaker gives it its name. It breaks the chips, or more appropriately to planing wood, it controls the shavings. It helps to create cons...
Alright, let’s see if we can wrap this up and have a new user in the plane till by the end of the week. Hope everyone had a good Thanksgiving weekend. Mine was nice but no shop time so I’m trying to squeeze this plane in when I can. I found a couple of hours last night to work up the iron and chip breaker. Here’s how I did it… I start with the iron. Prior to this, all we did was rust conversion on the iron. If we recall, we had some pretty gnarly pitting at the business end of this g...
Well, we’re done with the cosmetic stuff. Time to get down to the real nitty-gritty. Woo Hoo! If you have an old plane that’s in decent enough shape that you don’t care to polish it up and there isn’t any significant rust, you can skip all of the previous work and start here. From here on is what really gets our plane in good working shape and takes a mediocre plane and makes it work better than new. We’re going to focus on the frog mainly in this entry but you have to tune the fit w...
Well, now that we have our base painted and everything rust-free, let’s turn our attention to the hardware. On this plane, all of the hardware is steel – no brass at all. That makes the polishing a bit anti-climactic. It’s very satisfying to take an old, tarnished brass adjuster knob and polish it up so it looks shiny and new. Not so much with a knurled steel knob. I do steel and brass pretty much the same way though, just with different abrasives depending on the pie...
At the end of the last entry, we had our plane body stripped of the old japanning and ready to be painted. I picked up some paint and got our plane done yesterday. I got my paint at Advance Auto Parts. It’s Dupli-Color Engine Enamel in gloss black: Like I said in the previous blog, I’m not sure whether the gloss or semi-gloss is a better match but I prefer the look of the gloss. If you’d rather try the semi-gloss, it’s #DE 1635. I also pointed out that no...
When last we left off, we had done rust conversion on all of our parts except for the main body. So let’s pick up there and take care of body and sole. Just to remind us of what our patient looked like when we got it: I said in the last entry that I would be using a couple different methods of rust removal in this process. The first was the phosphoric acid bath we used on everything but the body. Well, we’re not using that (well not JUST that) on the body. Now, if ...
So, when we left off last time we had determined that this plane was perfectly salvageable and made a list of what all we need to do to it. We determined that all of its parts were present and that we shouldn’t have to make/buy any replacement parts with the possible exception of the iron and chipbreaker. Here is our subject: The biggest issue with this guy is the rust. That’s what I normally tackle first and what I’ll be addressing in this entry. The methods I ...
I’ve been thinking I am going to do this blog but haven’t had just the “right” plane to document the process… until now. I know there are an abundance of these tutorials all over the internet so I don’t pretend to be breaking any new ground here. I just know we all find our own little tricks and tips so I thought I’d show y’all how I do it and hopefully, there’s a useful tidbit in here for someone. Here are some good articles from wkf...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1813 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Toy costruction - 130 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 115 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 98 parts
- Woodworking on a Half-Shoestring - 91 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 82 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1838 entries
- dbhost - 448 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- mafe - 322 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- Dave Rutan - 265 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 254 entries
- robscastle - 253 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 221 entries
- stefang - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- bandit571 - 210 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries