It’s about time I attack this project with a vengeance, if for no other reason that it will be good to have the commission money to travel to Berea on (Neener!) The most challenging part of a very challenging project has been finding mesquite in quantity and size to work for me. Each leg is 4-1/2” on the square, a modified cabriole leg. I finally scored the lumber about 4 weeks ago, about an hour away. Heck, in Texas, that’s neighbors. Here is the stack: I didn...
Have begun construction on a shadow box for my retirement. First step – think out all the angles, grooves, dados, joints etc. and put the concept to paper. Scale helps to figure out exactly what the angles are and can help to see what might and might not work. As with any plan, once the actual work begins, the plan will often change to be either more doable or possible. Decided to build a shadow box for a 5’ x 8’ US flag in a doghouse pattern. Looked at several sites f...
Here are some of the latest slabs that have come off the mill. I have been trying to get as much juniper as possible lately because it seems to be fairly popular around here. The color and grain make it perfect for rustic cabins or southwest furniture. It is also a lot easier to mill then mesquite. I also attached a slab of the mesquite burl that I came across. If anybody is ever around tucson,az or payson,az give me a call I have slabs in both areas. 520-444-1225
So, I’m a sucker for challenges. A few years back, the ‘Couch to 5k’ program got me running again after many years on the D.L. Last year I took on a “consecutive days of Geocaching adventure.” (think high-tech scavenger hunt if you’ve never heard of it) I started out attempting 30, then 100 days in a row, which fulfilled a couple of challenges I was going for. Then it was onward to 189 so I would surpass my record of days without geocaching. Yes, when I...
I arrived home yesterday to find a package on my front porch. It was a care package from an LJ friend in Texas. Gerardo Garcia sent me a message and asked if I wanted some wood. He was getting concerned about the posabalities of Huricanes in his area of S. Texas and was offering some wood. What arrived was 61 lbs of Mesquite and Texas Ebony. Small to mid size turning wood. Thanks BlueStingRayBoots. You are a great and generous friend. I hope and pray that the water stays ...
The last blog entry ended with me having two saw blades ready for handles. The handle material I chose to use was mesquite, which I bought from fellow LJ BlueStingrayBoots a while back. One of the pieces he sent me was about 5/4 thick. I decided to use the Marshall & Cheetham backsaw handle template available at the TGIAG website for these saws. I printed off two of the templates and laid them out on the mesquite to get an idea of roughly how much material I needed. Then ...
Mesquite Slabs 10/4 thick, 24-36” wide, 17’ Long. Would make great conferance table or bar top. Check out the figure in these!!
Adventures in Tool Making #3: A Pair of Tenon Saws from a Disston Miter Saw - Shaping, Sanding, Polishing, and Finishing
Happy Fathers’ Day everyone! I got some shop time this weekend and decided to work on the pair of tenon saws again. Unfortunately, I only had time to work on one of the saws, but the procedure is the same for the other one so it doesn’t really matter. I left off last time with the handles roughed out and rounded over from the router. Next step was finishing shaping the horns of the handle. I used a combination of this curved-tooth file that I picked up at an antique...
13 Jan 2015 Past few days I’ve completed the leg blanks. Prepared the upper and lower side rails with stub tenons. Using a taper jig cut the top rails to match the desired angle. Cut and sized the front and back rails along with the seat support cleats. Once done with these I carefully marked each leg with the mortise positions making sure of their relative locations. Two lefts don’t make a right. Mortising was a long grueling smoking endeavor. At first I’...
23 Jan 2015 Update from somewhere up the dark river of no return. Spent some time repairing the dewalt and porter cable sanders (new pads,dust bags and switches). Work like new now. No more flying discs about the shop, this only enticed the shop cat into fits of apoplexy.Finished the fit for the corbels. Angled the back corbels to the slope of the leg top. Gee, it actually works. Rounded over the pieces for first chair and sanded them to 220. The mesquite and cherry really shine...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1742 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 107 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 79 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1767 entries
- dbhost - 420 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- mafe - 304 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 246 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 220 entries
- robscastle - 218 entries
- Dave Rutan - 214 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 194 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 190 entries