3 March 2015 I’ve finally reached the end of this build. Soon the client will come claim her chairs and off they’ll go for their cushions. Glad but sad at the end of builds, well not for all of them. The “Tea Table” was one I didn’t shed any tears over. My phantom tip of thumb reminds me every time I mention that project. So here’s a wrap up of the Morris Chair build…. Early January. Legs and rails prepped. Bent arm conundrum reso...
22 Feb. 2015 Well, the weather changed here. Went from a high of 70 to 81 this past week. I almost broke out in a sweat…..The desert flowers are just opening. The shop cats are very interested in the few little lizards sunning by the shop door. So enough on the weather. This past week seemed like forever. I decided to do some more inlays on the chairs. We went to the gem and mineral show. My first time after 40 years. It was interesting to say the least. I also did the ...
14 Feb 2015 Much further along the project of no return.Sanding and some oiling with gluing up the base unit and arms. Seems it was a bit anti-climatic when making the arms. Now, that’s OK with me. Even though they do look a little frankenstein like it was a good recovery and taught me some new skills and ideas! I did use some black dyed epoxy to fill in some small gaps but does look good. After sanding and some oiling I’ve assembled the first baseframe. I’m quit...
4 Feb 2015 Thanks to comments and such I finally decided on my approach for making the chair arms. I’d originally had planned on the Stickley method of laminate and cut so as to keep the arm looking bent. Well seems I hit a wall here as my band saw is not up to the job and I was certainly handsaw impaired to make such a cut.I’d floated the idea of a cut and spline method and got some great feedback, thank lcwood. I plan on cutting the board for the arm twice. First an a...
23 Jan 2015 Update from somewhere up the dark river of no return. Spent some time repairing the dewalt and porter cable sanders (new pads,dust bags and switches). Work like new now. No more flying discs about the shop, this only enticed the shop cat into fits of apoplexy.Finished the fit for the corbels. Angled the back corbels to the slope of the leg top. Gee, it actually works. Rounded over the pieces for first chair and sanded them to 220. The mesquite and cherry really shine...
13 Jan 2015 Past few days I’ve completed the leg blanks. Prepared the upper and lower side rails with stub tenons. Using a taper jig cut the top rails to match the desired angle. Cut and sized the front and back rails along with the seat support cleats. Once done with these I carefully marked each leg with the mortise positions making sure of their relative locations. Two lefts don’t make a right. Mortising was a long grueling smoking endeavor. At first I’...
Mesquite Slabs 10/4 thick, 24-36” wide, 17’ Long. Would make great conferance table or bar top. Check out the figure in these!!
Adventures in Tool Making #3: A Pair of Tenon Saws from a Disston Miter Saw - Shaping, Sanding, Polishing, and Finishing
Happy Fathers’ Day everyone! I got some shop time this weekend and decided to work on the pair of tenon saws again. Unfortunately, I only had time to work on one of the saws, but the procedure is the same for the other one so it doesn’t really matter. I left off last time with the handles roughed out and rounded over from the router. Next step was finishing shaping the horns of the handle. I used a combination of this curved-tooth file that I picked up at an antique...
The last blog entry ended with me having two saw blades ready for handles. The handle material I chose to use was mesquite, which I bought from fellow LJ BlueStingrayBoots a while back. One of the pieces he sent me was about 5/4 thick. I decided to use the Marshall & Cheetham backsaw handle template available at the TGIAG website for these saws. I printed off two of the templates and laid them out on the mesquite to get an idea of roughly how much material I needed. Then ...
So, I’m a sucker for challenges. A few years back, the ‘Couch to 5k’ program got me running again after many years on the D.L. Last year I took on a “consecutive days of Geocaching adventure.” (think high-tech scavenger hunt if you’ve never heard of it) I started out attempting 30, then 100 days in a row, which fulfilled a couple of challenges I was going for. Then it was onward to 189 so I would surpass my record of days without geocaching. Yes, when I...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1541 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 94 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- ScrollSaw Information and Resources - 68 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1566 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 394 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- mafe - 268 entries
- William - 258 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- shipwright - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 199 entries
- stefang - 188 entries
- Rustic - 186 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 181 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 170 entries