First a note of background:At the beginning of 2007 my book came out with the Sterling Publications company. They printed 16,000 copies and we sold them all. In 2010 the book went out of print- sad face. I made a digital download and a CD copy to keep the book alive since there were no used copies available- for less than a whole lot.Just this month a fine company, Echo Point Books, has published a wonderful new issue of the book. The cover is new- and I like it better than the old one. T...
http://www.woodworks-by-donna.comA long overdue update to my web site is hereby complete. I hope. I had not added new projects since 2009 so there are some new things to see. New stuff is at the top of each page, and it goes backwards as you move down the page. Let me know if something doesn’t work. Thanks, Donna
This is the finished bird that I started 2 weeks ago. It took about 24 hours to get it to this stage. I still need to make a mount for the bird, and I’d like to make it unique. That means no ‘bird on a stick’, but also not the trite ‘wren on the edge of the cup/bucket/shoe’ environment. I’ve been wracking my poor little brain trying to figure out something unique and good- that I can do in 3 weeks. Any suggestions.ideas would be appreciated. ThanksNow to th...
Back in May our daughter came to visit with us for a few days. We like to work together in the shop so that is what we did. We each knew a young child that we wanted to make a toy for, so I inquired here about good toy books. I bought a couple of them and we made these grasshoppers from the plans and instructions in the book Making Heirloom Toys by Jim Makowicki.I had lots of scrap walnut and cherry left over from the two harp-making projects, so we used that for our bodies. We made the legs ...
Lots of vegetable gardening done in the past couple of months, and it could not wait, so the harp building project had to wait a while. Finally last week I got back into it after 6 weeks of seldom working on it. Now it is almost done- but let me go back to where I left off in March.I had these beautiful abalone mother-of-pearl wings provided to me by a fine Lumberjock. She also did a great blog about how to do inlays, and that was very helpful to me. I didn’t follow instructions exactly...
Days and days of mostly just staring at the dumb thing wondering why- oh why- things did not meet the way they should. Take a little off here- then a little off there- shoot!- think I took some off the wrong side. This was not the way to go.My micro-plane was going to be my salvation, but it may have created more problems than it fixed.Talk about creative clamping! Trying to get all the angles right and everything where it is supposed to be so that the screws in the base will end up in the ri...
Doesn’t seem like 6 days have passed, but the calendar does not lie. I have a lot to catch up with.First order of the day was to edge join the pieces I would need to have wider- like for parts of the stand legs and the base of the harp.These Bessey clamps are the best.Then I needed to cut the angled sides. This was the most dreaded job, and the first rip (with the grain) on the table saw (my second least-favorite power tool). Took most of a morning to assemble the tool and then to figur...
Here is a good example of just how difficult joinery is with foam. Lots of slop and instant gratification- not at all like wood. Wonder if one can play a foam harp- nah.The foam model has been assembled for the first time- with toothpicks, tape, and chewing gum (just kidding about the gum). I tried to glue some parts with Titebond, but it never dried and didn’t stick well. I’ve decided to return to the original plan to end the bottom of the pillar outside of the sound box. Hope it...
Hi, I’m Donna Menke and I enjoy making things out of wood. You can see more of my projects and links to other woodworking and carving blogs on my web site: www.woodworks-by-donna.comI have some nice cherry wood on hand- so I’m going to make another harp similar to the last one, but with a few variations. Stocks above, and view of grain below.This is the harp I made from plans from MusicMakers back in 2007, out of walnut boards. http://harpmaking.blogspot.com/Here is the rough stoc...
Hi Guys-I’m starting to make another harp and I thought some of you would be interested in seeing how it goes- as it goes.Why am I designing my own harp? I wanted to see if I could modify the Limerickplans I used for the Rainbow harp I made in 2007. I wanted the soundbox smaller,and I wanted it to be self-supporting and as tall as the Heartland DreamWeaverthat I have and like. I took aspects of lots of different harps and put them alltogether and this is what I came up with. I also want...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1562 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 96 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- ScrollSaw Information and Resources - 68 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1587 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 395 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- mafe - 276 entries
- William - 258 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- shipwright - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 199 entries
- stefang - 188 entries
- Rustic - 188 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 181 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 175 entries