I know that many people have modified the HF-DC but I just wanted to put my spin out there. I have been doing a lot of research on the many different styles of updates/modifications that have been done and holy cow there are a lot. But, most of them rely on the Thien principle that seems to be pretty simple. On the Thien blog there is a guy that tests and records many different modifications with different setups. I am going to set-out to make my entire system buying the least amount as p...
I am just posting my journey for my upgrades to the Harbor Freight Dust collector I got. I have been using it stock except for the wynn filter cartridge and have been happy with it so far, however I have been getting some leaks and will smell the wood dust coming from the collector after cutting items. So I figured if I am going to seal the leaks, I better just build a whole new cart and add a Thien Separator. The first post here is detailing the Thien Separator. I went over to his we...
My wife and I were recently (forced to) transition our daughter’s crib to a toddler bed. I say forced to because one day, she decided to go on a diaper protest and fully potty train herself. Unfortunately, her potty training regiment did not include training to stay in her bed. She is absolutely horrible in her sleep and rolls around everywhere! As a result, there wasn’t a single night where we didn’t hear a thud, from the poor girl falling out of her bed (6 inches is a ...
My first blog. I’ve just recently gotten into woodworking and quickly realized that even small projects create a lot of dust. And since I have two little girls in the house and I have asthma, I decided that I couldn’t keep working without some sort of dust collection system. I don’t have much space, and I didn’t want to spend tons of money, so I decided on the Dust Deputy DIY. It’s pretty basic: Shop-Vac, large plastic bucket (I was going to use a 5-gallon ...
And so.. my personal Thien Baffle challenge begins. 1/2” MDF (i have 2 of these 4×8’ sheets..might as well use them). First time ever working on MDF with a power tool. To date… MDF 1, Eric 0 for dust control.This baffle will sit on top of a 55 gallon plastic drum, be 12” high (to allow more separation and swirling action), and same as many other Thien Baffles out there with a couple differences: 1.) I used a 45 degree chamfer bit on the outer lip to give f...
So here it is. I am basing this project on one several other talented individuals have done. They include, but are not limited to, Zzzzdoc, Tedth66, and Spencer. I only have the rough outline right now but plan on cutting wood this week. I have the mobile base on 4” swiveling castors. I matched the drawer base to the same height as the original base minus 4 inches for the casters. I made the base 28×68.5 and recessed the cabinet one inch all around so once the drawer fron...
Here you can see my home made router lift with more detail: I had to reupload the video without sound cause some copyright thing :) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FP6YEJG1nIw And here you can see my homemade router table: http://lumberjocks.com/projects/75194 Link to my YouTube channel
Took advantage of some quiet time after the kiddos went down tonight to make up some time on another secret project. Finishing the router table was key to that project and can also be really useful on the Castle Bookcase so….it got bumped to priority #1. That meant tackling the fence. Luckily, my son’s bedframe broke about four months ago. I repaired the nice wood frame and rail and kept it in the lumber pile until today, knowing from the get go what it was to be used for. I...
As I contemplated working on Kylie’s Castle Bookcase, I realized that my plan for custom trim around the bottom and top would need the services of a router. I figured it would be easier to use a router table rather than clamp a 1×4 piece of wood to the bench and rout it by hand. To this end, I turned to the router table that my father in law gave me, but soon realized that the table was too small. It would be just fine for smaller parts, lighter work and such. But handling p...
Seems like a lot of work for not much to say. I got the wagon vises roughed in and the second side of the bench top glued up. The vises were a challenge mainly because my vises aren’t as tall (thick) as the original design. Here is the wagon vises in mock up, I built the back wedge portion to original design height, I did this in order to make sure I got the slope right. I’ll trim them down as I do the final fit.Here is a quick mock up of how the top and vises will set up. ...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1392 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Just for Fun... - 84 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1416 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 394 entries
- dbhost - 389 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- mafe - 229 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 194 entries
- Rustic - 185 entries
- shipwright - 184 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- stefang - 169 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 167 entries
- PurpLev - 163 entries