I have been back full time on our boxes for over a week now so I have some progress to report. I have been selecting veneer out of our veneer cellar for the ebony background. From the experience of the previous series I paperbacked the ebony as it is a very brittle wood. Better be safe than sorry Then built the packs in 4 layers without forgetting the grease paper, one of my specialty in the mistake department. Teaching marquetry has been a great help as by reminding the stud...
WARNING An important part of this marquetry, but no woodworking involved. Since I am attempting to take you on my complete novice journey with this project I have to bring up the subject of the design again, but in more detail this time. The design for a marquetry is everything. No matter how beautiful the veneers are or how well cut and joined they are, the final project will be judged on the basis of how good the finished picture looks. You can start out with a very nice photo or ...
You might remember from the last time that I was busy preparing veneers by cutting them to size and also putting reinforcing tape on the face sides. The marquetry will be cut with the back side up and the design in a reverse position (mirror image) placed on top of the packet. Taping or gluing paper on the face side protects the veneers from damage and levels the face veneers so that any differences in veneer thicknesses will appear on the back side and can be sanded/filled to level for gl...
Finally was able to get a little work done on my wizard marquetry. I was planning to make a large picture about the size of two A4 pieces of paper, but I chickened out thinking that it might be wise to keep it A4 size instead to make it more manageable to cut on my Chevalet since I’m so inexperienced with it. The first thing I did was to redraw the picture in the smaller format. This time I remembered to flip the picture first to get a mirror image before tracing it on my light ...
Practicing marquetry for my next box. It’s been awhile for me, so figuring out which style and color of veneers to use can be the hardest part, just getting started. This design took me about three weeks to come up with and will to be used for the top of a Gem Box that I am working on. Cutting out the Pearl and Abalone and inserting into this practice piece top was a little time consuming but very enjoyable. Using basically the Window Method, cutting out the sharp corners where th...
WARNING, LONG AND POTENTIALLY VERY BORING BLOG! Shortly after finishing my Chevalet Paul aka Shipwright asked me if I would be interested in doing a little project where I could learn a few basic marquetry skills and use my Chevy to do the cutting with. I think he knew that I was a little worried about working with thin veneers and he thought this would help me get started. The only serious marquetry I have done prior to this was my chinese dragon cut from solid wood about 5mm thick which...
After seeing a few of my other veneer works, I was approached to make a Red Sox wall hanging for someone to give as a gift. Seeing as how I am still looking for more experience on this marquetry kick I’m on, I decided to go for it. Now, I’m not a fan of Baseball period, so don’t let this logo make you think I’m a Red Sox fan. We decided on a rather large size of 24”x24” overall, which will be more beneficial to me for the small pieces that needed cutting...
2 night ago, I was able to re-cut some of the letters in an effort to not have any broken pieces. The S and W continued to split on me, but I was able to get a nice M, A, and B so I will count it as a success. Last night was fairly productive. I was able to use my router with a 1/4” bit to cut a dado in the 4 sides of the frame to accept the plywood bottom. The 2 shorter sides had to be stopped dadoes so that they would be hidden when the frame is assembled. Once I cut the dad...
My mom approached me about doing something for my father for Father’s day. Only requirements were that it was to be something for their boat, and that it have the boat’s name on it. Other than that, I had complete creative freedom. I came up with the serving tray idea since they frequently prepare food down in the galley and have to bring it to the back deck for eating, and they currently just use some plastic serving tray. For the design, I decided that a prominent Compass ...
I has been a while and I thought I could give an update on this project. We are preparing the class room for june, which means cleaning the space we use between the classes as our marquetry and french polish workshop. I am finishing shading before to put the project on the side for those reason. I use the sand shading method and mostly dipping considering the number of pieces. I usually do one or 2 flowers at a time and dip a series of 2 or 3 pieces, sometime 4 which gives me ...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1742 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 105 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 79 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1767 entries
- dbhost - 418 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- mafe - 304 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 245 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 220 entries
- robscastle - 218 entries
- Dave Rutan - 213 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 193 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 190 entries