My next project is this late ninteenth century tool with a few improvements.My timber of choice is Desert Ironwood and all fittings will be made from bronze.This version will have a slightly wider body measuring 1-3/8” by 7/8” and a much larger adustable fence also of bronze, and a bronze strip fitted on the lower back corner for longer wear protection. My progress so far.
After a play in 3D CAD here is my prototype Chevy in the making. She consists of a single sheet of grade C birch plywood 18.00mm for the main body, trans arms and internal levers, seat etc, and there is still a couple of square feet left over after all the parts were cut out. So far the cost of materials comes to just under a hundred pounds for 99% of the materials, the plywood was £40.00 inclusive of tax. All the main sections were cut out acurately for me at the supplier at no extra ...
Warning: Lots of photos! Here’s my setup for sand shading one piece at a time. The marquetry has been preliminarily assembled on sticky shelf paper, a sheet of thin acrylic covers most of it, and the sand is hot. I remove one piece, shade it in a spoon of hot sand, and return it. Then I repeat a thousand times (give or take). I am still developing this way of doing things but it is working very well and I have complete control of how the picture grows as I am shading. H...
It seems like only yesterday that I built my first chevalet from a few photos on the internet and began to try to figure out how to use it. Well it wasn’t yesterday and it wasn’t last year either. It was almost four years ago and while I did learn on my own and produced some reasonably good pieces of work, things really started to ramp up for me when I attended The American School of French Marquetry in Feb of 2012 and 2013. The skill training was invaluable but the inspiration...
Finally was able to get a little work done on my wizard marquetry. I was planning to make a large picture about the size of two A4 pieces of paper, but I chickened out thinking that it might be wise to keep it A4 size instead to make it more manageable to cut on my Chevalet since I’m so inexperienced with it. The first thing I did was to redraw the picture in the smaller format. This time I remembered to flip the picture first to get a mirror image before tracing it on my light ...
I just finished the practice piece for the top of the music box. The method of marquetry I use is one that I have developed over the years. I used some of the techniques like the boulle technique and the packet method and combined them into what I call, ” the ten step method.” The veneer packet consisted of 8 different veneers and there were a total of 138 individual pieces. I used hot silicon sand for shading certain pieces of the veneers it gives the marquetry a 3D appearan...
I’ve been patiently waiting for the rest of my veneer to arrive from France so we can leave for AZ. Well it arrived today and we leave in the morning. As promised here are the photos. WARNING: A lot of photos of pretty veneer, you may want to pass on this one. The second package. Mocutaiba (Tiger Ear, Pao Santo) Douka (Makore) Espenille (West Indies Satinwood) Amourette (Snakewood) Gaboon Ebony Holly S...
I recently returned from a trip to England, Belgium and France. After leaving England and the historic naval dockyards in Portsmouth and touring the battlegrounds of the first world war in Belgium to pay my respects, the next stop was Paris which was destined from the start to be the highlight of my holiday. To some Paris may be the Louvre, the Eiffel Tower, or the palace at Versailles…............. They are fine and I did see them but the real attraction for me this trip was an old ...
Some of you may remember a couple of months ago I posted a new segment in my blog about marquetry cutting styles describing the “painting in wood” style. Well, once I started cutting the classic French design (pattern in the back of the workbook from ASFM) I started musing about where it might end up. I’ve made enough boxes and while they were a good venue for some simple marquetry and served well to practice on, my real interest is in bigger projects and more furniture kin...
Back in 2009 when my “woodworking as a hobby” life was just getting started I became interested in veneering and marquetry. Problem was I knew nothing about marquetry so I used a set of router bushings made for inlaying and adapted a style of marquetry cutting with them. One of my early projects was a couple of doors for a new desk to fit a little nook in my home office. The text accompanying the project post says ” I will improve” so I guess the time has co...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1598 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 96 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- ScrollSaw Information and Resources - 68 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1623 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- mafe - 279 entries
- William - 258 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- shipwright - 220 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 199 entries
- stefang - 198 entries
- Rustic - 188 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 187 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 176 entries