I’ve had a kind of crappy blue plastic borg sanding block for some time, and I’ve been lazy and switched out the paper. I don’t use it too often, but its finally given up the ghost and won’t really stay closed any more. I decided to make myself some proper ones with a nice cork backing. Here’s the original borg crappy one.. The one thing I do like about it is that it is sized such that you can quarter a regular sized sheet, and they fit the sanding bl...
Well Folks, I did what I could today. It was a long day of work and hospital visits so shop time was certainly limited to a few hours late into the night. I left a bit of a glue mess on my back assembly last night so I paid the price for it today.Now, that picture was just to show the assembly without clamps, but this one should be better…and some more….I had a few pictures of my lady checking my sanding job but they all were too blurry. She walked around it and made sure I d...
Started to build the RoseBud inlay that will go on the lid of the Bubinga and Purple Heart jewelry box. For this inlay I am using maple, yellow heart, rosewood, and kauri. Tomorrow I am going to do some sand shading to give the inlay a 3D effect. Should be pretty cool… P.S. The only down side to sand shading is the wood can sometimes stink and yellow heart is one of the worst!!! It is almost as bad as zebra wood… not quite but almost!!! Now that I’m finished with...
i have never made a leg vise before and i have no idea what to expect with the one i made. The basic concept came from Shop Notes. And i like the basic concept. However, i do NOT like the price of ACME Rod, ACME nuts or ACME ANYTHING. so i went with “off the shelf” 3/4” threaded rod from LOWES. I dont know if this will bite me in the butt or not. But just in case, i built the vice so i could change it out if i need to use a better threaded rod. The dimensions ...
Free Webcam Chat at Ustream visit…www.TheApprenticeandTheJourneyman.com .........................Learn more, Experience more!
I am currently working on an extensive construction project.The customer asked me to clear some acreage blocking his view of the mountains. I gave him a break on the equipment price in exchange for any timber I remove.What I discovered were broadleaf maples straight and clear for 30 feet averaging 32 inches diameter, well over 12,000 bf in the butt logs. In addition, I uncovered a deadfall old growth Western Red Cedar log. What is left of the log are 18” x36” x 20’+ slab...
Now that I have a table saw again its time to get going on a few projects. First on the list is a new workbench. It will be solid maple that I picked up from fellow LJ, John Ormsby a little over a year ago. John had some really nice 8/4 kiln dried maple at a good price so I came with about 500bf. More than enough for a bench. I pulled some of the maple out today and got started milling it up for the legs. The wood was nice and flat and really didn’t need to be jointed. So, I didnR...
This weekend was splendid! I finally was caught up enough to do some things around the house that I have been meaning to do for quite a while. My little 'all season tree' is now beautifully decorated in a cute, Halloween theme (you will have to come back tomorrow to see that – I have too many photos to show today!) and not only did I do some major cleaning, but I cooked a great Sunday dinner and I plowed through a fairly large pile of "UFO's" and got them all...
Hi, one of the investments a beginner woodworker thinks they really need is a nice cast iron bench vice. Now, I’ve been doing this professionally since 1982. In @ 1994 I got a used /discarded slab of laminated rock maple with a vice on one corner. some school threw out several student benches with the vices on them. some local persons “salvaged” them from the dumpster. my truck may have been used and I got one…. I never use it.I had gotten used to by then a homemade v...
I guess I’ve been poking along on this project long enough now. Here are some more pictures of my progress for you.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Sawing the Fonts, & backs of the drawers.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~I drilled holes at the drawer bottoms, because of the short sawing radius. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Gluing the drawer fronts, & backs. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1598 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 96 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- ScrollSaw Information and Resources - 68 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1623 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- mafe - 279 entries
- William - 258 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- shipwright - 219 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 199 entries
- stefang - 198 entries
- Rustic - 188 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 187 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 176 entries