Howdy, Not much time for woodshop lately but I have been able to put a little time in here and there. Today was about 4 hours. Here is where I’m at. I did some hand planning to get it in earshot range. I used a stiff metal yardstick like a scree to reveal high spots. Len – listen up please. I grabbed a card scraper and took down some of the ridges left by the planning. I know I need to keep working on the scraper edge. I ended up using the ROS after my hands got tired...
Building a Ditty Box--first project for my nephew #4: Learning some more new skills, completing the main box
I haven’t been taking as many pictures the last bit, but we’ve made a lot of progress. We we neared the completion of the main box, we needed to make some bevels on the bottom trim. Rather than resort to the router, we went for the more hand finished look, making the bevels with a plane.They came out really well, and after assembly, he also beveled the corners as you’ll see below. It all turned out very nice. Next came the glue up of the bottom trim pieces and the inst...
It was a full day of fun and excitement yesterday. I even got some work done. I like days like that because even if I don’t accomplish everything I want to, I made a big dent in the list and it makes me happy. My new designs are all ready to cut, but the first order of business was to set up the final cabinet left from our reorganization and mount it to the wall. We received several cabinets for free last summer and although they were not of the highest quality, they were sturdy an...
I’ve got my own site where I like to write about my projects so rather than duplicate them here I’ll just provide a little teaser. If you’d like to read the full post just click here. Well, some four and a half months ago I started building a proper entertainment center for our basement. I have now been told if the entertainment center isn’t finished by June my wife will be going out and buying one, so I am back at it. If you check out the first post for this project you may look at these ...
Hello. It has been a long time since my last blog post because I had taken time off to build my workbench and organize the shop. I have now started up again with no other projects on the go and plan on finishing it soon. To summarize where I left off:-I had the drawer sides dovetailed.-2 walnut posts made.-The chess pieces all done.-The board strips glued up.-And the walnut drawer fronts made. To summarize where I am now:-The drawers are assembled with dividers in place. The bottoms and...
We last ended with the second dovetail and the end caps mortised for the tool well ends. After a week of no progress in the shop I finally had some time this weekend to get something done. To start I needed to cut the remaining dovetails so I would know where the dados should stop to not be seen on the out side of the bench. I am sooooo glad this is over with. I would love to say I got better with each one but I really didn’t. I did learn something new on each one but the mista...
Here’s a couple more pics of the progress I’ve made. I glued some veneer around the edges to fill in the gap between the fancy stuff and the edge where the board will transition into the sides. Then it was onto a lot of sanding. What I hadn’t expected was the dust from the Rosewood to stain the maple while sanding. So I sanded it down as good as I could without going through the veneer and then used a cabinet scraper to finish it off. I think it came out really nice and I ca...
So I’m very excited about this project as this is the first project that I’m using hardwoods on (everything prior was mainly plywood based except for face frames and other accents). So this weekend I had the chance to start working on this project, and start using my short-lumber-supply. I had my eye set on a piece of (what I thought was a) cherry that was just right in dimensions for the sides of this box. it was about 16” tall (to accommodate for the 12” tall box)...
Been busy with my day job lately but was able to spend a few hours downstairs. I am finally starting to deal with my wood hoard and getting pieces together for small gifts for a couple family members. Mostly weekend style projects that probably will include an ornament or two and a couple of boxes. I am a notorious hoarder of wood and I have wood scraps, pieces of furniture, and even a few rough pieces of wood that I saved from a maple tree I cut down a couple years ago. At the time of cut...
I’ve got my own site where I like to write about my projects so rather than duplicate them here I’ll just provide a little teaser. If you’d like to read the full post just click here. Getting back into the swing of things with this project gave me the opportunity to finally mount my new Freud Diablo blades in both my table saw and my miter saw. I needed both blades for the project this time because I was ripping down some of the maple hardwood on the table saw and then cutting the face fra...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1793 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Toy costruction - 116 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 110 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 98 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Woodworking on a Half-Shoestring - 82 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 81 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1818 entries
- dbhost - 436 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- mafe - 313 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 254 entries
- robscastle - 241 entries
- Dave Rutan - 231 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 210 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 195 entries