These are a bit small for individual blogs so I am throwing these together. 1) maple pepper mill2) skinner knife – snakewood This is my first time making a knife. I may have made the scales a bit small. If I don’t like them, then I will have to move from snakewood to some maple burl. I will have to make the leather case for this too. I want to by a Beall buff for these 2 but so far the “why don’t we save money by you making the Christmas gifts this yearR...
I had taken the weekend off from the boards to regain my brain power for another week at work and time in the shop. I was wishful that the sawdust ferry had solved some of the problems with the cupping of the board but no luck. I took the boards to my somewhat trusty belt sander with 80 grit and began to bring down the cups and smooth out the glued up edges. I was concerned with the sander because it gouged that last boards I did and it took a considerable amount of time to fix them. I then ...
Lately I have added to my accumulation of wood planes and unfortunatly run out of storage for them. I wasn’t to bad until my friend-who is cleaning out his shop and moving to smaller quarters-presented me with the wood planes that he had. So now the challenge is to come up with some sort of cabinet to keep everything in one place. All the way from a 28” jointer to a 6” trimmming plane,all the hollows and rounds,T&G sets,fillisters,sash planes, and leave room ...
The base has been assembled now for about a week. But what’s taken time has been new discussion on the finish. After long planning to do an Arm-R-Seal or similar, my wife decided she wanted to keep the wood as light as possible. Since the oil would take it to an amber color, that meant either shellac, lacquer or water-borne acrylic/polyurethane. After some samples were compared, we decided to go with General Finishes’ High Performance. It seemed to keep the closest c...
Today I worked on the lock, as i posted yesterday I made new faces out of some walnut I found in the scrap bin. I guess i forgot to mention about the hickory faces. I drilled a hole in the wrong location last week. Anyway today I got the new faces made and drilled correctly. I started the shackle, made out of maple. I am thinking I may try a combination lock next. I am a little worried about making the dial. I am not very good at carving or engraving. I really want to make one though. Hopeful...
So I started getting into woodworking and bought a hand plane. So as soon as I got home I wanted to use it, so I put a peice of wood in my vise and started planeing. Five minutes later, my bench was four feet farther forward than it originally started. So I moved it back and kept going. Well I have done that for the past year and a half, and have decided enough is enough. So while I was in school I designed a Work Bench. Here are the specs on the bench:1. The bench is four feet deep, six feet...
On the router table, cleaned up the face of the peghead and finished the rest of the truss rod routing, and drilled the hole through the neck for the electronics (totally stoked, I drilled the diagonal by hand and managed to hit with my ¼” pilot hole dead on, then worked up to ½” total). Then with a deep breath and a few carefully placed Dominos, glued the sucker up. Daniel is way stoked.
I FINALLY found enough free time between work shifts to get the back 2 legs and side stretchers attached. Since I glued up the toolwell before installing the back legs I wasn’t going to be able to drawbore them into place so I decided to wedge them instead. So a couple relief holes and a bit of saw work later they were ready to go but first I needed to do the long stretcher. Again, drill and offset the tenon.. make some pegs and get all my ducks in order for this operation since ...
We did a floor a few years ago for my sister in law. She has expensive taste, and wanted a floor that was somewhat different than the norm. We spent a lot of time a showrooms looking for a floor she was happy with. She narrowed it down to 3/4” hardwood, and was having trouble with choosing between Maple and Brazilian Cherry. I suggested mixing the two, by using the darker Cherry as a border. Since she is Greek it seemed liked a good idea to do Greek keys in the corners. We a...
Since the first of the year I’ve turned my first two bowls from curly maple and made a custom pen & pencil set with case out of Mahogany. I’ll be posting pics soon! I’ve also received a donation of several Walnut logs (saved from a friends firewood pile!), that I believe are going to make some excellent bowl, platter and vessel blanks. The price was right (free!) so they’ll certainly make for good turning practice as well as nice final products (at least I hope!).
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1815 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Toy costruction - 130 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 115 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 98 parts
- Woodworking on a Half-Shoestring - 91 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 82 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1840 entries
- dbhost - 448 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- mafe - 322 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- Dave Rutan - 267 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 254 entries
- robscastle - 253 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 222 entries
- stefang - 221 entries
- bandit571 - 215 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries