Dovetail Pen Progress Success!! It took a few more tries but I finally have a set of pen blanks worth of being assembled into a final writing instrument. Some more issues that I have run into along the way are: Working with Padauk and CA glue – I found that when I was applying the CA glue to the blanks to stabilize the chipout that the glue would pick up the color from the Padauk. This in effect became a “stain” that would penetrate the Maple and start to turn it pink. I solved this ...
Dovetail Pen Progress Pictures. OK, I managed to get a few pictures off the camera. Just bare with me, this is my “garage” camera so the resolution/quality is not top notch. The three following picture are: #1 – My collection of dovetailed pen blanks. End to end joints for the dovetails. #2 – A closeup of some of the chipout I experienced along the joint seams. You can see the CA glue that I used to solve this issue in the picture. #3 – Finished pen blanks, first attempt. In this pi...
A local cabinet shop is going out of business and is selling every thing. They also tried at one point to retail lumber but the local market was not there. So, today I picked up these lumber items:Mahogany – 8/4×5 1/2” x 10’Cherry – 4/4×11” x 9’Lacewood – (3) 4/4×5”x 6’Paduk – (2) 4/4×7” x 8’Curly Maple – 4/4×5” x 8’Makore – 6/4×1...
This evening’s Sonoma County Woodworkers Association meeting was at Luthier's Mercantile International Inc. up in Windsor. The presentation on guitar building was excellent (as every SCWA presentation I’ve been to has been), but they also had a scrap pile, $5/lb. Maybe $105 for that haul isn’t a tremendous deal, as a lot of that wood is pretty thin, but I think I can get 5 pairs of book matched Walnut door panels out of that, I’m going to cut the guitar sides in pi...
Got some kerosene today. Back to work on new lock. The front and back will be hickory and the center will be cherry. The shackle will be maple. I hope to get some purple heart for one soon.
Finished up the first set of pen tubes for the Dovetail Pen endevor. Not worthy of a finished pen and now I will need to get a pen disassembly kit to salvage the parts. Oh well, I need one anyway. Problem: Since I don’t currently have a blank drilling jig the center holes were not perfectly inline with the line of the dovetail joint. This leads to pattern allignment issues on the finished pen.Solution: Looks like I will invest in a pen blank drilling jig or make one. (I need on...
OK, I turned a bunch of slimline pens as gifts for my coworkers. Now I am moving on to something more complicated. I know it’s a bit soon but I love learing new woodworking skills and the challenge of delving into the unkown. I will blog about my adventure of making a “Dovetail” pen here. The first thing that I learned is how to do end on end dovetailing. More complicated than it looks to join two boards, end on end, flat. Not the usual 90 deg angle like in box const...
As a new member here, I figured that I should share the project I am working on. I am by no means a luthier, or a highly skilled woodworker (yet). This is something that I have wanted to do for a long time. It started by felling an ash tree a few years ago and getting it milled into boards. Here I am in my large workshop planing the boards to thickness. Note the fancy chip/dust collector. Did my first bookmatch ever! Made a core from maple. glueing the back to the ...
I picked up today where I left yesterday. today however, I had a bit more time to work on this. I printed the face frame design/layout from Sketchup, and out to the freezer we go: I added the 2nd piece that makes up the back (had to use 2 pieces of plywood as I don’t have 1 large enough part for the back), and then I noticed that my plywood carcass is a bit out of wack- the back aligns with the left side, but the right side is a bit lower, ah crap, I guess I’ll have to shim...
It’s been a long haul and not without a few setbacks, but our first semi-production run is almost complete. I have to say (and I have seen this mentioned before) these tops are the most labor intensive project I have ever experienced. With that said, I still have to build 3 more. It’s official-I really am not that bright!! and Cherry Base Clear Coated Tiger Maple and Walnut Base with Cherry Top That Big chunk of Maple with the pine “CA-ed” to the edg...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1196 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 87 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Just for Fun... - 81 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 67 parts
- Workshop Development - 66 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1218 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 388 entries
- dbhost - 332 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 301 entries
- Martin Sojka - 297 entries
- Karson - 294 entries
- William - 249 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- mafe - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 187 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- Rustic - 183 entries
- PurpLev - 162 entries
- shipwright - 160 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 159 entries
- stefang - 145 entries