Yup – I couldn’t wait. I took that little bit of purple heart and Peruvian walnut and chopped it into little tiny pieces. The center is glued. I was dry fitting the outside border. Thought I would snap a work in progress picture. I didn’t get to do much lumber-jocking this week but I did repair the dryer, sliding glass door tack and van. I’ll take my little bit of progress and be thankful. I think I’ll be able to do a little good this weekend but my woo...
I had a very productive day yesterday. After being slowed down last week by not feeling my best, I can’t begin to tell you how good it felt just to feel like myself again and really get some things accomplished. For a change, I not only met the goals that I had set for myself for the day, but I exceeded them. (Geeze – do you think I set them too low??) I had wanted to finish up the drawing on my latest project. With the mornings becoming cooler each day, I can feel the inevi...
Last night after flattening the bench I couldn’t wait any longer to get some holes drilled in the top. I have been kinda dreading this part because it is one of those permanent type things in a major component of the bench. Earlier I had mentioned that I didn’t have a 3/4” auger bit for my brace…. well that turned out to not be true lol. The problem is that I can’t math. Turns out I have a 12/16” bit and for those of you following along that simplifie...
I FINALLY found enough free time between work shifts to get the back 2 legs and side stretchers attached. Since I glued up the toolwell before installing the back legs I wasn’t going to be able to drawbore them into place so I decided to wedge them instead. So a couple relief holes and a bit of saw work later they were ready to go but first I needed to do the long stretcher. Again, drill and offset the tenon.. make some pegs and get all my ducks in order for this operation since ...
I wanted to make something for my wife’s birthday and mother’s day, which fell on the same weekend this year. I have had this semi-spalted maple in my collection of wood so I cleaned it up for this project. Since it is nearly a requirement of mine, I decided to accent this project with some deep red padauk of which I always have on hand. If you have the need to buy something and do not already have one, get a drum sander. It’s at the top of my list of favo...
After seeing some amazing examples of swords produced by fellow Lumberjocks, I decided to try my hand at making one. Mostly I just wanted an excuse to play around with the hand planes and use up some scrap wood…. First I took a length of 1×3 maple and cut it to give me a 32” blade and a 10” handle/hilt. I’m looking to make this a bastard sword (hand and a half) that’s based more in history than fantasy, so no swooping dragon pommels or fancy looking bla...
So after my HUGE error with the leg vise (it blocked the top drawer)I moved it over and mounted it on the outside of the leg. I’m not 100% satisfied with it, so there will probably be some changes. I did my best to cover up the holes that formerly housed the leg vise’s bottom and screw.Also I put the drawer fronts on the drawers. Here is the new mounting of the leg vise on the outside of the leg. once again, i dont love it, but it will work for now.More later...
I got started attaching the base to the top last night. Only got about halfway through it because it was late and I didn’t want to rush through it and mess something up. But so far so good. This is mostly a short picture post but you should have an idea of what is going on here.. Once more flip and rotate the top.. Then measure out the side stretcher by the leg vise for clearance of the chain bracket.. Then got everything drilled and ready for drawboring...
I have spent the better part of my life building what I would call rustic furniture, I love the experience of going out into the woods and find some unique natural branch, bark or burl and incorporating it into a design.. Doing this thing on YouTube where I have been sharing ideas and jigs that I build to (I hope) inspire people to thinking out side of the realm of traditional craftsmanship and maybe try something new.. any way the link below is to a slide show of a few off the pieces I have ...
For our best pieces, we use sawn veneer. It is usually 10 time as expensive as sliced, but it is a better quality product. When the veneer is sliced, it is often steamed or heated and the shearing of the knife damage the structure of the wood. When the veneer is sawn, it is just like solid wood, just thinner. Patrick Edwards did a good blog entry on sawn veneer with a video of one of the last veneer sawing comapny, near Paris, Georges et Fils. To read the article it is here. An...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1196 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 87 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Just for Fun... - 81 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 67 parts
- Workshop Development - 66 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1218 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 388 entries
- dbhost - 332 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 301 entries
- Martin Sojka - 297 entries
- Karson - 294 entries
- William - 249 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- mafe - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 187 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- Rustic - 183 entries
- PurpLev - 162 entries
- shipwright - 160 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 159 entries
- stefang - 145 entries