I forgot to update last week. I didn’t get much done because I was busy fixing a mistake. In episode 6 I showed a picture of the end tenon and the lead screw channel cut out. The weird thing is that the huge mortise cut into the end of the tenon. The mortise was too wide and I didn’t notice until last week I was thinking about it when I was in bed. That’s when I do my best thinking. I got up in the morning and checked the drawing and I was right. The drawing says the mortise...
It has been a while sense I have posted any thing. I hope not to be a stranger. Life is crazy with all the travel and all the other stuff that I do. It seems like I only have time for family and business. Just got back from the symposium. It was their first and it went great! Met lots of new people. I think my favorite moments are when I get to meet people who have been my clients for years and I get to meet them in person for the first time. and of course seeing old friends that I only ge...
I had a good and busy weekend! It just goes to show that when I set my mind to doing things, I can really accomplish a lot. On Friday I finished up three drawings for new patterns. It may not seem like a lot, but I keep adding little extras to make them even more special and allow those who purchased the patterns to do lots with them.To me, patterns are much more than just handing off some line work. Especially in scroll sawing, where the lines are what we follow with the saw. While the...
I have been doing a lot of little things to get ready for glue up. I cut the mortise for the lid latch and fit the escutcheons in the keyholes. The escutcheons came out pretty close to straight up and down and in alignment. drilled and mounted the drawer pulls and handles. Yesterday afternoon put the finish on all of the inside surfaces. Sanded and put a second coat on this morning. I’m using amber shellac on the oak, clear on the Bubinga. About 10:30 this morning I glued up...
Howdy, I’m redoing the tiniest of tiny bathrooms. One entire wall is occupied by the tub. The other wall is taken up by the vanity and one of those gigantic mirrors. In between those small walls is the throne. If you are seated at the throne, there is just enough room to open the door. Yep… Tiny! I started on the countertop simply because I already knew exactly how I wanted it. Here are a few work in progress shots. I have already received some outstandi...
Yesterday and today were relatively productive for the most part. I got the dovetails cut on the three drawers. I cut these with a PC 4200 series dovetail jig. The front is attached with halfblind dovetails. These are usually the easiest to setup and cut but for some reason I had a hard time setting things up. and when I cut them two came out tighter than I like two were right on and two were a little loose. I don’t know why nothing moved. The through dovetails on the rear of the...
Last night I snuck out to the shop to take the clamps from the front top that I glued up earlier that day and used them to glue up two of the legs. I just had to get it done before bed. This morning I just let them sit as I had other stuff to do. I started with flattening the bottom surface of the front top. I had to run it across the jointer in halves like I did with the back top and I thought I did ok but I realized that after running the top surface through the planer, that surface was...
Okay, I was asked to post a how to for the, I guess I’ll start calling it “vanishing” hinge, since it’s not completely invisible. Anyway I struggled with posting this tutorial, because in this instance things went badly, but I think it’s just as important to publish the mistakes as the successes, because that way whoever reads this can see where the pitfalls are. So in the spirit of full disclosure, here goes. Okay, this tutorial is for 1/2” wood and dow...
I spent yesterday cutting mortises and tenons and fitting the lid. I had a stupid attack and forgot to allow for the lid dado depth when cutting the mortises. I ended with a mortise a 1/4 wider than the tenon. Once everything was glued up I was able to find a piece of scrap that fit the gap precisely. I just cut to length, a little glue and push them in, once they were sanded down I could only find one repair out of four and that one you needed to know where it was to see it. I got a g...
This morning I was out in the shop by 10am, eager to go. Motrin is a wonderful thing. I took the now full width back half out of the clamps and grabbed a glue scraper and went to work. I was able to only get a little bit of the glue runs off, so I switched to my jack plane. I had a bit of an alignment issue with these boards so I had some fairly high spots to flatten out. I did the bare minimum with the plane until I was worn out, it didn’t take long. Then I mustered all of my st...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1541 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 94 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- ScrollSaw Information and Resources - 68 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1566 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 394 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- mafe - 268 entries
- William - 258 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- shipwright - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 199 entries
- stefang - 188 entries
- Rustic - 186 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 181 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 170 entries