Last night I snuck out to the shop to take the clamps from the front top that I glued up earlier that day and used them to glue up two of the legs. I just had to get it done before bed. This morning I just let them sit as I had other stuff to do. I started with flattening the bottom surface of the front top. I had to run it across the jointer in halves like I did with the back top and I thought I did ok but I realized that after running the top surface through the planer, that surface was...
Okay, I was asked to post a how to for the, I guess I’ll start calling it “vanishing” hinge, since it’s not completely invisible. Anyway I struggled with posting this tutorial, because in this instance things went badly, but I think it’s just as important to publish the mistakes as the successes, because that way whoever reads this can see where the pitfalls are. So in the spirit of full disclosure, here goes. Okay, this tutorial is for 1/2” wood and dow...
I spent yesterday cutting mortises and tenons and fitting the lid. I had a stupid attack and forgot to allow for the lid dado depth when cutting the mortises. I ended with a mortise a 1/4 wider than the tenon. Once everything was glued up I was able to find a piece of scrap that fit the gap precisely. I just cut to length, a little glue and push them in, once they were sanded down I could only find one repair out of four and that one you needed to know where it was to see it. I got a g...
This morning I was out in the shop by 10am, eager to go. Motrin is a wonderful thing. I took the now full width back half out of the clamps and grabbed a glue scraper and went to work. I was able to only get a little bit of the glue runs off, so I switched to my jack plane. I had a bit of an alignment issue with these boards so I had some fairly high spots to flatten out. I did the bare minimum with the plane until I was worn out, it didn’t take long. Then I mustered all of my st...
Since I began woodworking almost five years ago and slowly building my shop, one of the things that has proven difficult for me to prioritize was buying clamps. We all know the old saying “You can’t have enough clamps”. And while this is true, the projects that I have mostly done didn’t require very many clamps. And the larger projects I did, I just made do with what I had. This bench project has spurred me to start buying parallel clamps, but at $40 + a pop and with s...
Yesterday and a little bit this morning was spent jointing and fitting the front, back and drawer dividers. I now have a complete carcase. Drawer dividers in and fit. Front and back installed and fit. I need more practice on my mortises but they got better as things progressed. Should be fairly easy to cover the mistakes. On to the lid and drawers.
I saved the design and building of the handles for last. Mainly, because I had no Idea what I was going to do for a handle. All I knew, was I wanted it to be made from wood. I searched through all my design books, and all over the web looking for inspiration. I finally came across Darrell Peart’s website in the Green and Green Style. Now this desk is not in the Green and Green style but I liked the simplicity of the handles on his pieces and thought they would work well with my desk. As al...
The dovetails and mortise and tenons on the carcase are done. My dovetails are getting better. Practice does make a difference. Tails done time for pins Its square. Cutting the mortises. The tape makes the knife marks easier to see, A little touchup on one end and we can cut and fit the panels front and rear.
In this video, I have a nice piece of figured walnut, and resaw it to make book matched drawer fronts. These pieces get laminated to another piece of walnut. I also make a small frame for the hutch to rest on the top, and make the top. And of course, everything gets inlay!As always, I welcome your questions and comments! http://youtu.be/yXvMV4aHAIc
I have always wanted to build a Gerstner style wooden tool box but the drawers were designed more for a machinist than woodworking. The project has stayed on the backburner for a long time. A few months ago i saw a picture and downloaded an article from FWW on the Essential Toolbox by Mike Pekovich. I had built a wall cabinet based on his design earlier and found that the design lent itself very well to personalizing it. The toolchest design seemed to be the same way. I really wanted a th...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1526 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 94 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1551 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 394 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- mafe - 259 entries
- William - 258 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- shipwright - 211 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 199 entries
- stefang - 187 entries
- Rustic - 186 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 181 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 166 entries