I had a very busy day yesterday. But it was the kind of day that was also a great deal of fun. (I have had a lot of those lately!) I spent the majority of it decorating my new SLD485 Holiday Lights Damask ornaments that I previewed to you yesterday. I had cut several sets of them because I knew I wanted to play with them and experiment with many of the wonderful finishes that I had here from DecoArt and hot fix rhinestones from Rhinestone Canada. I had several ideas of how I wanted to d...
I am the first to admit that I am not a fast worker. Be it painting, scroll sawing, sewing or anything else, I find that it usually takes me quite a bit longer than the average person to accomplish most things.I also admit that it used to bother me, but as I get older, it doesn't seem to do so as much anymore. As we accumulate large quantities of what we are making, adding to the pile just seems to . . . well . . . add to the pile and sometimes I feel that things lose their 'spec...
Hey all. First, thanks a lot to oluf who gave me a tip on how to use silicone instead of spaceballs to keep the panels form rattling. Secondly, this is going to be a long one, so bare with me if interested, if not, no big deal. :) Raised panel doors are very rare in Europe, so I will have a very posh kitchen when it’s all said and done, so I am very glad. The door with flat inset panels (as classic Euro doors are) looks plain crap when compared to the raised panel one, I know that, s...
In my last entry, I finished by attaching the top as you can see in this picture: Before I attached the top, I roughly cut the end of the leg to size so I then had to blend the top and legs into one table. I used my spokeshave to create round-over where the route couldn’t reach. I used chisels to cut the bulk of the tenon and I then used rasps to blend everything together. Finally, I had to sand the entire table. Thankfully, I had access to a pneumatic sander which is ...
This is my entry into the Christmas Ornament Challenge put on by Alan Stratton and Carl Jacobson. This is the third annual challenge and I ma amazed at the beautiful ornaments folks have made! This idea came to me as I have made toys quit a bit in the past and I thought just make a version of an airplane that is smaller. Proportions were determined mostly on the fly and are just approximations of what should look good. Much of what I did I had in my head and I made the first piece then fit ...
In this entry, I’ll cover some design and the construction process for the top. This blog series is not in chronological order but for the ease of reading, I’ll cover all of the top in a single entry as opposed to covering it in a few separate entries. As I wrote in my first entry, I decided to make the top more stable without making the top too thick. I call this “the spine”. The center section of my top is made from 8/4 maple and I decided to put a half-cove on ea...
In my last post, I covered the rationale for my design and how I made several cuts mostly on the bandsaw to make one base. I will now discuss in greater detail how I built the rest of the base including the legs and stretcher and how I did the glue up. I left off with this base: Although I made a very similar drawing on my second base none of the line remained after I made a few cuts on the bandsaw. Since I deviated a little bit from the plan, I decided to use the actual first base to c...
Howdy, I’m trying to fill knotholes and such with different methods. I’ve seen the beautiful turquoise and metallic fills that just take my breath away. I believe I might be able to do those with the right materials. I will say that some of the work to make my own copper shavings is out of the cards. Turquoise fill is far more likely. Any metallic dust will be purchased. Still I choose to experiment instead of going with the tried and true methods. Here is my first. ...
First off, lets start my establishing that i have the best, most understanding wife ever. I installed the cabinetry and had the plumber install my sink on the 20th of February this year, after which I was to make the doors and shelves in short order…. well…. with the 2” slab of hardwood counter top, pine or fir wouldn’t cut it for the doors, and oak was expensive, in addition i had to finish up my thesis for my university and had other projects, so I knew it was going ...
A few weeks ago, I decided to join the Coffee Table Build Off started by Neil Cronk. You can read more about his initiative here: http://www.cronkwrightwoodshop.com/coffee-table-build-off/ From the start, I wanted to design something incredibly challenging (at least challenging in the 21 days allowed for the build off). I knew from the start that I wanted my table to look “organic” with not many straight lines. Curvy might be a word to describe what I was aiming for. A bent laminated base ...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1466 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 93 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1490 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 394 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- mafe - 236 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- shipwright - 198 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 197 entries
- Rustic - 186 entries
- stefang - 185 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 177 entries
- PurpLev - 163 entries