I’ve been sick for about a week, so I was unable to do anything with this project so for those of you who are following along and looking forward to my next entry, my apologies for the delay. All of the repairs set up pretty well and are stable. I tried making a paste with sawdust and glue for the repairs to the maple (in each of the four corners, where my router bit went too deep), but the color isn’t right. They’re stable, and the box is for me, so it’s ok. I think part of the issue with...
Thought I’d try making a small “finished” box for my watches. Had some walnut and maple and thought they would make a smart looking combination for this. I re-sawed the walnut to create book matched side panels. After I found one of the boards had some stress in it and bowed a little. That didn’t make me happy. So I cut the side pieces to rough size and then wet the side that was causing the bow. I then clamped them in my bench vise for about an hour. Low and ...
I realize it has been a long time since I posted a blog. To be honest with you all, it has been a rough couple of months. After losing my dear kitty and constant companion Pancakes suddenly early in December, the following week my other kitty Richard became gravely ill. The vet seems to think that his illness was triggered by the stress of losing Pancakes. Cats are very sensitive creatures. The combination of Pancakes just 'disappearing' and me being grief-stricken was something that ...
I took the clamps off of my box and flush trimmed the lid using my router before doing some sanding to remove and glue or dings and dents that were especially bad to my eye. I didn’t really go nuts sanding, as I planned on doing it thoroughly and properly once all splines and any additional detail had been trimmed and shaping had been completed. I cut the kerfs for my splines with a newer blade of mine, which was a mistake. Since I’m cheap and don’t have $100 to spend on a single s...
I went ahead and glued my sides together the other day. The sides actually went together well. I never have had band clamps on hand and I liked how they seemed to make the process simpler for me. I had previously used blue tape to hold mitered corners in place, which had worked well, but these clamps really allowed me to apply pressure where tape would just not. Then, I glued and clamped the lid down while trying to keep the detail work lined up as closely as I could. However, before I...
So…I’m a bit nervous. I’m nervous because the progress that I made on this box went very well last night. The other shoe has to drop at some point, right? Maybe the woodworking gods have decided that they’ve given me enough ‘experience’ for this project. Who knows… Last night, after having re-RE-glued one of my side pieces, I ran all four of them through the planer, being really careful to go as slowly as possible while bringing them all to the same thickness. I averted another disaster an...
So. The sides to this box seemed like they were going to go as smoothly as did my top. I’d just slap them together, line up the stripes, sneak up on the angles and glue everything together and it would be perfect. Silly rabbit… I took each of my side pieces (that I had cut intentionally a bit long ‘just in case’) and made a cut (or two cuts) to insert the matching pieces of cherry wood so that I could complete the laminations and have them done. I glued everything u...
For this project, once the initial planning and measuring was done, I started making sawdust – and a lot of it. I had a piece of curly maple that was already in good shape, but had started with a chunk of cherry wood that was beautiful…but still a chunk. I decided to pick the most flat edge and just go to the jointer…then the table saw…then back to the jointer…and back to the table saw – then to the planer once I had something sorta kinda flat to wor...
Over the past month, I’ve gotten into making boxes. The ones that I made so far have let me try some new skills/tools out and have let me practice finishing methods. The latest box that I am working on is much the same… Since I have been making boxes for others, I decided to try one out for myself. Basically, I wanted to try some new stuff out that would look really nice if it came off, but if it got screwed up, I have no deadline or person to disappoint…so I figure that ...
Snuck in some time during working on the coffee table. Trimmed down the table top and cut the legs and apron rails to length. Since I was on a roll, I kept going and fitted out the mortise and tenon joinery. Not bad for my first time cutting mortise and tenons on a furniture project. Router with a double-edge guide setup (for stability) for the mortises Ironically I picked up this tip from Bosch Fitting the tenons into the mortises My new toy is peeking out from the corner
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1815 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Toy costruction - 130 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 115 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 98 parts
- Woodworking on a Half-Shoestring - 91 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 82 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1840 entries
- dbhost - 448 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- mafe - 322 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- Dave Rutan - 265 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 254 entries
- robscastle - 253 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 222 entries
- stefang - 221 entries
- bandit571 - 213 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries