Finished! Well it’s been a long journey and it did not end without one extra push. I finished installing the copper handles Monday by 11:30. There was a couple of scratches but I was certain I could buff them out. This is a skill that goes with the territory. I worked on the finish for the next six hours and I could not get the finish to blend. How to Remove a Scratch- After exhausting all other options this is what I resorted to today: Yes you are seeing it correctly...
I took my lumber for the top to Rick’s at The Woodworking Source to mill it up. What is taking my better part of 2 days we knocked out in about an hour and a half. These are some pics of Rick’s place. Its interesting that Rick does not do woodworking outside of work. He golfs because it is what he does to forget about what he does when he needs to forget about what he does. He is a professional and a great asset. ———————...
Damian posted a blog and was asking about dimensioning a board that was bowed. When I read his title I thought he might be asking my question. It wasn’t so I’m going to ask it here. When I buy wood at the sawmill I usually get 5/4 stock so that when it dries it’s still a little over 1” thick and can be planed to a great board. Sometimes the wood is 1 3/8 to 1 1/2” thick. Should all of this wood be planed to 13/16 or so. Or is it desirable to keep them thick...
So 1st fallback reached yesterday. I have to border the pattern. For the pattern glue-ups I used a traditional glue, PVA. This is good for this purpose but if I had mitred all edges (and the top) the tiny 1mm squares at each corner might not have held on at all. Worse still is the possibility that they would chip off over time. So bordered it is. Using 7mm strips of Purpleheart I set out the patterns to give me an overall idea of what it would look like. I then labelled everything s...
A friend of mine has a cabinet shop with a spray booth and was nice enough to let me play in it. These photos were all taken in his shop. Here is one of the samples we tried on a test piece. This is aniline die dissolved in alcohol. WOW, I really like the color! We used his Festool sander for the final sanding. I had to stir the dye for over an hour. On goes the die: Sanding in between coats of sanding sealer and lacquer: Er...
Here’s just a few scraps that have been saved from the firepit. There’s always something you can use a cutoff, or leftover, and whatever for something useful. Maple cutoffs Thin Strips (if the scrap is large enough to be safely cut) Plywood, and 2×4’s make very nice tool holders, etc. for close-at-hand necessities And a turned hold-down knob for, well, holding something down. A good friend o mine gave me this chunk of Pine that used to be a part of a di...
Installing the hardware was straight forward. For the fixed jaw an 1 1/2 hole is drilled and shaped to accept the nut. Then 3/4” hole goes all the way through. The 3/4” hole in the mobile jaw is elongated to prevent binding. Install both screws and done! ————————————————————————————...
Updated 1/16/12 This is the fun part! Its scary too! The idea of taking a nice crisp box, one you have spent countless hours making, and attacking it with a tool designed for slag removal is…well…its a little disturbing. Maybe I was influenced by old Hitchcock movies more than I know. Seriously, what I enjoy is the freedom this gives me. Everything up to this point has been tied to measurements and careful setups. This is where we can cut loose a little. But slow down Hot...
This Parquetry panel is an insert for a conference table. This is the companies logo, It’s an abstract design of an Eagle. The panel size is 24” wide x 54” long. This was a very fun project, it took me around 32 hours to draw, cut, glue, and stain and finish. I used the “The Window Method” because of the long straight lines and the geometrical shapes. It’s much more accurate this way. If I was to used a scroll saw it would be very hard to keep the lines straight. 1...
The handle.I did not like how the handle was looking, it appeared to lack any of the swirling grain that the top inset panel has. That happens sometimes after shaping, the good stuff ends up on the floor. Also… if you look close, you will notice in the picture below that I sanded too deep into the right corner of the handle and exposed the spline! Oops! So I made a new one from Black Palm Wood, a first time for me. The black color ties in with the Wenge corner splines, plus I love ...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1795 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Toy costruction - 116 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 110 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 98 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Woodworking on a Half-Shoestring - 82 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 81 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1820 entries
- dbhost - 436 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- mafe - 313 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 254 entries
- robscastle - 242 entries
- Dave Rutan - 232 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 211 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 195 entries