In my last entry, I finished by attaching the top as you can see in this picture: Before I attached the top, I roughly cut the end of the leg to size so I then had to blend the top and legs into one table. I used my spokeshave to create round-over where the route couldn’t reach. I used chisels to cut the bulk of the tenon and I then used rasps to blend everything together. Finally, I had to sand the entire table. Thankfully, I had access to a pneumatic sander which is ...
Yesterday I took the end cap and cut out two mortises first using a spade bit and then chiseling it square. I had to trim the tenons down a bit to fit in, and when I was squaring the small mortise, part of the end grain wall broke away leaving me with a big gap. I really didn’t want to make another end cap and do all of this work again, so I think I’m going to go with it for now. If I decide later I can’t live with it, I can just take it off and make another o...
Ok, I’ve scaled this thing down a little bit. I drew out the actual size I originally intended and decided it was WAY too big. So now the total length is about 18 inches. That makes the track 1” wide. That was a great coincidence by the way. Here’s the picture. I was inspired by a nice looking piece of wenge to make it from that. And I’m testing some white oak and maple today for steam bending. The inside will be a nice light colored wood with visible grain. ...
Here is part to of the beginner series. Thanks for watching.
...takes 90% of the time. The remaining 10% of the project takes an additional 90% of the time. So it feels like we’re closing in, but finishing and hardware installation are still going to take a little while. Sunday morning Daniel was off partying with friends in San Francisco. I went out to the shop and did a bunch of shaping, and then Charlene and I went over to Tall Toad Music and, with the help of the very friendly staff there, dug through the basement ‘til we found ...
What are the differences between stains and dyes? Very simply put: With stains, the pigment tends to remain on the surface of the wood and lodge in the pores, while dyes penetrate deeply and color the wood from within. Dyes Dyes are colorants that are usually mixed in a carrier vehicle (solvents) such as mineral spirits, water or alcohol. The dyes used in woodworking are characterized as transparent, as they bring about color changes in wood without obscuring the figure. The molecula...
Hello Everyone,Here is part 2 to our tool cabinet build. In this video the cabinet is up and we install interior doors. Check out our progress. This cabinet is a big one! Here is a link to the video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMlMHn5CryA
Here are the two designs for the bunk beds. I’ll eventually build 3 of one style and 4 of the other. The first on has a headboard similar to the single prototype that I built. The only difference is there is no fixed shelf at the top. I made it adjustable because of headroom. I also put an adjustable shelf at the bottom also. The second one is a bookcase design. I tried to keep the same style. I lowered the height of the headboard and built a couple bookcases for each level....
a journey in shaper cutter, please come for the ride, stay for the 411 #1: An educational journey in shaper cutters, teachers & professors needed to take the reins.
I have over the past few weeks been able to start taking some overstock merchandise, merchandise that the customer either forgot about or didn’ t have the funds to pay after the customer used the companies sharpening service. Some of the blades, router bits and some shaper bits , I will be keeping for my self but, to be albe to buy more I have to sale items I don’t normally use or if there is way more of an item or group of items than I can use myself. This is one of those time. ...
Here are a few pictures of what I am currently working on. And a closer look at the koi.
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1598 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 96 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- ScrollSaw Information and Resources - 68 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1623 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- mafe - 279 entries
- William - 258 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- shipwright - 219 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 199 entries
- stefang - 198 entries
- Rustic - 188 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 187 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 176 entries