Dovetail Pen Progress Pictures. OK, I managed to get a few pictures off the camera. Just bare with me, this is my “garage” camera so the resolution/quality is not top notch. The three following picture are: #1 – My collection of dovetailed pen blanks. End to end joints for the dovetails. #2 – A closeup of some of the chipout I experienced along the joint seams. You can see the CA glue that I used to solve this issue in the picture. #3 – Finished pen blanks, first attempt. In this pi...
So I’m going to be turning a salt and pepper mill this weekend and I’m curious as to what kinds of finishes I should use. I was planning on a sanding sealer and maybe a friction polish, but does anybody know if the salt from the mill will damage any of this? should I use a poly? Thanks everybody…. i love this site.
I got a chance to get back to the sawmill today after not being able to cut for 2 weeks. Was anxious to see what was inside that hard maple log that I picked up a couple weeks ago. So I started with the one which had the most burls. That first slice on a log is just like opening a birthday present and I was not disappointed! I got 7 slabs and they are all 2 inches thick and 78 inches long. The main log that this one came out of was about 39 feet long with burls all the way up! I cut th...
It has been a little longer than expected but here I am. I won’t bore you with my excuses, rather I’ll show you the little progress I’ve made over that time. Yesterday I set up to do the back joint. This joint is roughly a meter long, by 32mm wide, and is vital because in the end, after all the carving, it’ll lose about 98% percent of it’s glued area while still required to hold two boards each about 23 cm wide, together ad that under about 200lbs (oops where&...
Before the major work of today there was some minor repair to do. One of the joints between a C rib and lining was not up to snuff. Exhibit A: To fix this I soaked some paper towel in water and laid it on the offensive joint in order to soften the glue. After a long while soaking I squeezed it a few time with my fingers to get it moving, then clamped it up again; the result being something much more acceptable. Once dry the flattening begins. First with a block plane to bring...
A few years ago I helped one of my nephews turn a baseball bat (visiting from Michigan). He’s now three years older and has grown out of the bat we made, however just last week, two of his younger brothers called me me a favor. They wanted me to build a custom baseball bat for each of them. As the “cool uncle”, I went right out to picked up some maple stock and turned two bats yesterday. See the picture below of the turned bats. Each of my nephews wanted there bats co...
I have a high school fine arts and academic competition coming up this spring and I decided to build a music stand and enter it into the woodworking category. Right now I am in the planning stage. I want to use a similar design to the Graham Nash music stand made by Blake(http://lumberjocks.com/Blake) . I am considering using walnut veneer for the panels and hard maple for the frame around it. I have been working on it with SketchUp. I am hoping to create a stand that is height-adjustable but...
I am terrible at keeping up with posting my projects. I always try to wait until they are up on the site, and then I find I am usually buried deep into the next project and forget about it completely. While many of you read and keep up with the blog here every day, there are also many more who don’t and come to me and ask to find something that I had made an entry about previously. I never mind that, but it makes me realize that I do need to keep my gallery on Lumberjocks up to date...
I have purchased all the lumber necessary for construction of the table. I decided to make the chess board first. I first cut strips of maple and walnut to approximately 3/8” thick on the bandsaw. To minimize slippage during gluing I glued up each pair individually, Followed by cleaning up some of the glue and then gluing all the strips together, I then cut the glued up board and flipped every other strip to form the chess board. Here’s a close up o...
Finally got it finished! Got the back cut. 1/4” plywood attached with 7 brass screws. And the name plate is attached. The engraving shop (Village Engraver, Fairfield Shopping Center, Virginia Beach) provided the double sided tape. The box and base are finished with three coats of Watco Semi-Gloss lacquer. I did a light sanding of 320 grit in between coats. After the lacquer dried, I applied some clear paste wax with 0000 steel wool and buffed. I did this twice. The third ...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1387 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Just for Fun... - 84 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1410 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 394 entries
- dbhost - 389 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- mafe - 229 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 193 entries
- Rustic - 185 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- shipwright - 180 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 166 entries
- stefang - 164 entries
- PurpLev - 163 entries