Today was some odds and ends and final assembly of the bridal chest. It’s not complete. I’ve got to get a little more maple to finish off with some moldings around the lid lip and the skirt. The stainless piano hinge is being mounted on the cover..Here you can see the hinge mounted to the chest along with an arm that locks the lid in a 90 degree open position.Also, I’ve made a box with divider out of maple that slides along the top inside of the chest..Here it is slid ove...
3 Strings CBG (cigar box guitar) #6: This cigar box guitar is done but I think the journey just began!
Hi there guys, I had another long weekend (revolution day over here) so I managed to finish my first cgb, whee! So, first I did the last polycrylic coat(satin) and wet sanded with 1200 grit, the plan was to do some polish to the finish… but it turns out that, when wet sanding this finish it looks and feels just like the necks in 3 of my factory made guitars – natural matte look, and smooth to the touch- which I love a lot so no polish needed!, and that means a lot less elbow gr...
I had an extremely frustrating evening. We had 3 hours to work on our projects and I seem to make mistakes every other minute!!! I even poked myself with largeish splinter when the stupid dreaded miserable *^%$#@ rebate plane blew out the corner of the tenon I was trimming to size! Yeah I now realize I should have backed it up, but it and I were fighting all evening, I eventually switched to a rasp (what is the emoticon for frustrated woodworker!) I have to hand it to Ryan though, he of...
Quartersawn oak blanks are cut to 14” long and 1 5/8” thick. The upper crest rails are 3” wide and the lower rails are 2 ½” wide. I chose to construct the chair with floating tenons so that I could mill and cut all of the rails to the exact same length. A bench-top mortising machine is used to make the mortises for the upper and lower crest rails. The 3/8” chisel is set exactly parallel to the machine’s fence, then an auxiliary fence is installed and shimmed to the proper angle required. Sto...
Just a few pics and progress from this past week – I sprayed a few coats of GF pre-cat satin urethane on the base of the foyer table and glued that up. The finish turned out pretty good, although I had to resand the bottom shelf due to some bad sanding marks that I rushed and didn’t see the first time. I don’t have very good lighting in my garage, but I bought a cheap clip lamp and used it during the re-sand – I really should have bought one of these sooner, although t...
in my last session, I completed the carcase. I double checked my final dimensions against the drawer prototype to make sure nothing is off..So I started with this.The steps in today’s session were:1. Prepare maple stock by resawing and cutting to final dimensions2. Set up and test incra jig to make through dovetail joints3. Cut thru dovetail joints using incra jib4. Cut stopped dados for drawer bottom and DVD partitions5. Glue up drawers and clean up joints.And ended with a group ...
Well, last time, I had the four sides about together. Clamped them up into a box like shape As I needed some more layout work done. Had a 2’ x2’ sheet of 1/4” Oak plywood to try to cut into a bottom And, in theory, I could just measure the two directions and mark things out…..in theory yes, in this shop….Nope. Measured three times, laid out the lines, cut leaving the lines….1” off on the front to back measure? Ok, We’ll deal with th...
I was inspired last week to find yet another use for my Sing Honeycomb Panels. We’re launching a line of insulated panels for overhead garage doors. I’ve noticed that too many nice homes have dinged up garage doors. It’s because garage doors are expensive to repair. You don’t want to replace a panel for a golf ball dent, so you let it go until the damage is beyond cosmetic. Soon, you’ve run into the garage door with your car or time has made the edges drafty, so ...
Yesterday was a day filled with fun and also some frustrations. Just because I have been designing for a long time doesn’t mean that I don’t make mistakes and encounter obstacles. There is no guarantee that things are going to work right every time. Even when I really thought I had everything covered. I worked on my project for the magazine for a while yesterday. This was the one that I was talking about last week, that I have been thinking about and trying to come up with ...
Final step is to attach and finish face frames. I may have already covered this but here is the face frame glue up. Dry fit with clamps to make sure everything lines up. Lessons Learned … do not store your framing materials like this: A warped face frame is difficult to fix, no matter how are you nail it, clamp it and glue it. See my shame below: Next step was to set up tower on saw horses ($22 for metal saw horses that fold up at Lowe’s – I r...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1584 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 96 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- ScrollSaw Information and Resources - 68 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1609 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 396 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- mafe - 278 entries
- William - 258 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- shipwright - 213 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 199 entries
- stefang - 198 entries
- Rustic - 188 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 185 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 176 entries