OK when we last spoke, it was decided that the urn would have Maple sides, and Walnut top, bottom and miter splines… So I printed out a cut list and got to work. I cut all the pieces of maple slightly over sized so I could sneak up on the miters and get them perfect. Then I planed and rough sized the walnut for the tops and bottoms. The maple pieces were cut from a board I had planed down to 9/16 some time ago and the pieces were slightly cupped…not good for tight miters. I dec...
What has turned out to be a simple and relaxed day has been a long and tedious one. The chess board that I’m building has been what seems to be a chess game in its self. The 4”x16” strips have turned out good but seem to have a little cup to them after the glue up. I took the board and sanded what I could till it was level and smooth. Then the cherry side strips are not perfectly flush against the maple ends. I planed everything but the butt ends just don’t seat all th...
I have afforded the opportunity to create a great piece for the local karate school. Both of my kids are in the program and my daughter is close to obtaining her black belt in karate. It has been a journey that has taken her nearly 3 years to complete and an experience that she will be able to draw upon for the rest of her life. As is always does, the karate school closes down over the Christmas break. When classes resumed after the first of the year, we came back to a redecorated interio...
Another busy weekend has come and gone. The speed that time passes continues to amaze me. I must be busy.It is cool here this morning, with just a bit of rain. After the past few days which were rather warm and sticky, I am happy for the change. Although our weather here in Nova Scotia seems very mild in when I hear about how hot it has been in other places. I feel very fortunate.I made some progress on my "Nevermore" plaque yesterday. I didn't quite complete it, but it will be ...
Once the blank has the layout lines drawn, it is time to cut the slots for the ellipses. The first step is to set the blade height. When the cut is made, there should be about 1/8” of material left holding the two sides together. This really aids in the glue up by keeping the pieces aligned. Set the blank on the jig and adjust the angle and the end stop so that the front SHORTER layout line is positioned to the LEFT side of the blade cut. Orientation is when you are standin...
Today I decided that the lock miter joints just didn’t look good enough, especially since some of each corner will be exposed once I fit the walnut panel for the lid. So I trimmed each at the table saw and am pretty happy with the results. I used a different technique for this cut and it worked well enough to keep everything straight & square, at least as far as my instruments can detect. So I then trimmed the lid panel to fit (“panel” seems an odd name for it—...
The past couple of days I have been working hard to make progress on the helicopter. In the past two days I have make the anti-tourque peddles, more details in the interior, and finished the the rotor blades along with attatching them to the rotor head. Here are the anti-tourque peddles,every part is walnut and the peddles were turned on the lathe: In the interior I added the instrument panel, the cyclic control, a bunch of switches on the roof of the cockpit (which you can not see ...
The lid separation went smoothly; mostly because the bottom was reasonably flat and sat square against the table saw fence. The only thing to clean up is the heavy burn marks on the lid side. The box side hasn’t got even a tiny mark. Why is that? The inside looks better than I have expected: the miters are tight and the corners are pretty clean. I have decided on butt hinges, the ones that have to be mortised into box and the lid; and, because the lid is heavy, a stop w...
[_]D Morning all, Since the powers that be frown on WIP photos in the projects section, here are some in progress photos of what i did yesterday:I was cleaning out the tool shed (distinct from my Shop… it is where the lawn stuff, and family stuff is stored) and I found a whole bin of short cut-offs plus a single 5/4 cherry board. The board was weathered (it was when I got it) and I’ve had it for at least 8 years now. My how time flies when life gets in the way of woodworking. Th...
Yup – I couldn’t wait. I took that little bit of purple heart and Peruvian walnut and chopped it into little tiny pieces. The center is glued. I was dry fitting the outside border. Thought I would snap a work in progress picture. I didn’t get to do much lumber-jocking this week but I did repair the dryer, sliding glass door tack and van. I’ll take my little bit of progress and be thankful. I think I’ll be able to do a little good this weekend but my woo...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1583 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 96 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- ScrollSaw Information and Resources - 68 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1608 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 396 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- mafe - 278 entries
- William - 258 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- shipwright - 213 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 199 entries
- stefang - 198 entries
- Rustic - 188 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 185 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 176 entries