Well, I got to help with the move itself which took me out of town for a day, and I didn’t have to stare at the still-drying letters all day! :-) When I got back, they were finally dry enough. So, after a good nap yesterday, to rest these old bones, I started by removing the tape and positioning the words on the sign.There’s still a little stick-um left from the tape on the bottom, and that helps after eyeballing them into place. They don’t slip and slide around. Since the w...
The second piece of old fashioned book binding equipment (nearly 2” thick Maple!) going into this project: Removing metal hardware before running through the tablesaw. The mortising for it, done almost entirely by drill. threaded metal rods run through both ends, cross grain. for rigidity? structural integrity? aid in glue up? Didja guess #2? Ok, so I knew this one had a split in it, but I didn’t know how bad. Luckily the plan was to rip off both edges, lik...
This next step involved shaping the bottom of the base. After scribing a line 2 1/8 inches in, I used a circular saw set to a depth of 7/8 inch. The next time I do something like this I will make the cuts closer together to make removal easier. Then with chisel (ok – for all parents and in-laws reading this, which should be 4 – a nice set of chisels for your son would be a great way to show you care about your soon to be new grandchild :) ) and mallet, I cleared the bottom. I ...
With the table assembled I was ready for finishing….or I thought I was. I wanted the finish to match the end tables in our living room, which have a cherry finish. After reading about the difficulties in staining Maple without making it a splotchy mess, I asked for and received some advice from folks here on LJ. Thanks to all! Here is the unfinished table…. I was advised to leave it natural but it would not have matched the other furniture. So the first thing I did was to app...
Hello. Today I’ve been working on endcaps for the shoulder vise. I started by routing the grooves in the spacer block and in the doghole strip for the spacer block. I then squared up the end of each end cap for the shoulder vise and laid out and cut the tail on the long end cap with the bandsaw. I then transfered the tail and cut the pins with a jig on the bandsaw. And after a little fitting… I then put the rod through the top and clamped the spacer bl...
Since I began woodworking almost five years ago and slowly building my shop, one of the things that has proven difficult for me to prioritize was buying clamps. We all know the old saying “You can’t have enough clamps”. And while this is true, the projects that I have mostly done didn’t require very many clamps. And the larger projects I did, I just made do with what I had. This bench project has spurred me to start buying parallel clamps, but at $40 + a pop and with s...
In September, I started coming up with ideas for my wife’s Christmas present. The short of it is—I haven’t finished it yet. Fortunately, it was a minor part of all that I was getting/making her, so she didn’t go without this Christmas. Part of my problem is that I’m still a greenhorn and purpleheart is a jerk to work with. Tearout, checking, and pitting is something I’ve had to deal with non-stop. For the past two weeks, my shop (no heating) has been bel...
This weekend, I completed my first turning class at my local Woodcraft store. It was a fantastic experience and well worth the time and tuition! The class consisted of a 3-hr session Friday evening and a full day Saturday. The first evening we covered the many of the basics. I learned an enormous amount starting with background and history of turning as well as equipment, accessories, tools and sharpening, etc. We also got the chance to “chew” on a hunk-o-poplar and make it in...
I bet you guys thought I would never finish this blog. Well I had a month or two building bookcases then another few weeks cleaning, reorganizing, and painting my shop. I just posted a couple of pics of the shop. I have also finished up a few small boxes to put in the local day spa that carries some of my boxes. Now I am ready to pull this one off the shelf and get it finished. I have had a while to think on it. I am still not exactly sure what direction it will take to get to the finis...
After being out of power for 30 some hours and bailing over 300 gallons of water from my sump pump well, I did get an unexpected surprise yesterday from Irene. I went to the county dump to dispose of most of our spoiled food and saw the sign for wood dumping area ahead. I drove over there and met several nice folks in my county here in MD who were disposing of trees that Irene took down. I’ve wanted to start resawing wood, even recently buying a riser kit and some new band saw blades...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1582 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 96 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- ScrollSaw Information and Resources - 68 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1607 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 396 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- mafe - 278 entries
- William - 258 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- shipwright - 213 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 199 entries
- stefang - 198 entries
- Rustic - 188 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 185 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 176 entries