Sometimes good planning really does pay off. I am not saying that everything went 'without a hitch', but in the end, the build on my new Christmas sleigh worked out pretty well. I am really pleased with it. When 'building' three dimensional pieces such as these, to me it seems like there is so much more involved than just cutting fretwork. While the fretwork design is a really important part of the piece, on something like this, it is just that – a part – and ...
Yesterday afternoon I received a phone call to remind me that I had an eye doctors' appointment in Digby this morning. I must be getting old because I completely forgot about it. I also thought I set my Google reminders to remind me, but I guess I forgot that as well, or I did it wrong. In any case, I have to skeedaddle out of here today and it is supposed to be a beautiful and sunny day here in Nova Scotia. My sweetie thought it would be a great day to play "hookie" ...
Just a few pics and progress from this past week – I sprayed a few coats of GF pre-cat satin urethane on the base of the foyer table and glued that up. The finish turned out pretty good, although I had to resand the bottom shelf due to some bad sanding marks that I rushed and didn’t see the first time. I don’t have very good lighting in my garage, but I bought a cheap clip lamp and used it during the re-sand – I really should have bought one of these sooner, although t...
Praise God, after 5 months of work ‘Holly’s Jasper’ is done! It was a true challenge and taught me new skills, and introduced me to 3 new kinds of wood. Can’t wait to apply what I have learned to future. projects!
The lid separation went smoothly; mostly because the bottom was reasonably flat and sat square against the table saw fence. The only thing to clean up is the heavy burn marks on the lid side. The box side hasn’t got even a tiny mark. Why is that? The inside looks better than I have expected: the miters are tight and the corners are pretty clean. I have decided on butt hinges, the ones that have to be mortised into box and the lid; and, because the lid is heavy, a stop w...
My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer #1384: Getting Back on the Horse (Or Reindeer, if you will!)
I am happy that last week is behind me. I can honestly say that it wasn't one of my 'favorite' weeks. It only confirmed my own beliefs that negativity and controversy can really take its toll on someone. For the first time since I could remember, I wasn't really excited about my work. I think when things really began to sink in, I realized the full scope of the events of the week and the implications for the future. I found it difficult to find my motivation, even though I sti...
I plan to use this blog to track my progress on a number of furniture pieces going in our dining/foyer area for our home that we purchased about 1 year ago. Our old home did not have a separate dining room, so we had no furniture to go in this room. I decided to build my own pieces to fill this space, as I have been doing a lot of woodworking over the past year and feel that confident (enough) that I have the skills, time, and vision to complete this. Here is a list of the pieces in the set a...
Free from the block! some thinning, sanding, the purple dye and spray lacquer to go…..
My wife loves her wooden spoons, but after many years, they warp and crack and eventually fall apart. So I started wondering what the best material to make a wooden spoon out of might be. I bought 10 small samples of hardwoods and cut them all to roughly the size that could serve as the bowl of a wooden spoon. So I have 10 pieces of wood roughly 5” long, 2 1/2” wide and 7/16” thick. I started with those and put them into a large stock pot with 4 gallons of water a...
Ok, ready for cutting the top off this box. Fingers crossed… The maple sides have some figure in them, so I have been looking for a finish to maximize the shift in luster depending on the angle of view, a.k.a. 3D effect, a.k.a. chatoyancy. Just wanted to share my findings from the internet here… It turned out that maximizing chatoyancy and making the figure more visible are two different things achieved by different means. I guess, the former is sometimes also cal...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1392 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Just for Fun... - 84 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1416 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 394 entries
- dbhost - 389 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- mafe - 229 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 194 entries
- Rustic - 185 entries
- shipwright - 184 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- stefang - 169 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 167 entries
- PurpLev - 163 entries