The other day I received my new Bad Ass Nice Ash. What a beauty. Just as advertised. Then I needed to adjust it all I had was a 5 oz. ball peen, a framing hammer and a major wood adjuster. None of those worked. The ball peen came the closest but the metal just had too much force.So I decided to embark on making some wooden mallets to adjust the small beast. Below are some pic’s of the fun I had making tools to adjust the new tool. The smallest is the best for very small a...
I should start a series of “Chase screws up a project, so don’t follow in his footsteps” blog entries. I made a wooden mallet out of maple and some unknown scrap for the handle following (more or less) the WoodWorking for Mere Mortals method. I used BBs for the weight and leather on the surfaces. It worked out pretty well until I went to use it the first time. The leather face flew off after the first hit, and the maple dented badly. Full disclosure, I did hit a p...
Hello, My name is Jeremy (firm cyber hand shake). This is my first blog entry for my account here at LumberJocks. Short intro. Please excuse my spelling. Spelling has been a struggle for me my whole life.A bit about my self. I was born in Marburg Germany, but have lived the larger part of my life on the west coast of the USA. I love anything I can do with my hands. Pottery, glass work, automotive work, carpentry, cooking, brewing beer… you get the idea. I love to learn and share. I a...
More progress on Jim’s light plates has occurred lately. Here’s the update: I took the piece of siding that he gave me and measured out where the crests and valleys were on the back of the wood and went to town with chisels and Kröktskaft. Boy, aspen sure does pare nice and smooth with little effort (well, sharp tools help too): In short order I had carved out a nice groove on each piece that fit perfectly onto the siding: With the exception of the fact that my plan ha...
For the pictures, please click here. Ah, it’s good to be back in the shop. Took a break there for a while to go on a trip to the Bahamas with the family. We had a blast but the only woodworking I did was reading about it and sawing some “Z”s by the pool. To get back in the swing of things (projects and ideas are starting to pile up) I decided to knock out something that’s been on the list since the beginning: the mallet. Poor, sad, Mjolnir, assembled crooked...
It’s been a while that I have been wanting to make myself a wooden mallet. I have been using a plastic dead blow type for years but it isn’t really the prettiest thing and after seeing all the nice whackers on the “Mallet of your Dreams”, I decided now is the time for a new mallet. Years ago my dad brought me a couple 3”x3”x21” chunks of Hornbeam and it’s been sitting on a shelf just waiting for a project. I had been planning on using...
For all the evidence—-I mean pictures——please click here. As the title says, things didn’t go exactly as planned with the hammer the past couple days. I tried my best but it just didn’t work out as I imagined. Here’s what happened. Best pull up a chair and get some popcorn. It started after the handle was finally cut free from the excess wood. I decided to put all the pieces together and see if I like the general shape and weight of the mallet. H...
To see the pictures, please click here. After finishing up the leg vise yesterday, I had a little bit of time leftover and decided to get cracking on Mjolnir (yeah, it thinks a lot of itself!). I finalized the design and drew it on the handle. It has the typical laminated mallet shape, tapered inside the head to lock the handle in place. I decided ti add a little detail to the handle and a pommel. Totally not necessary but I’m having fun now. I started to cut the handle free...
To see the pictures, please click here. At long last I have begun construction of my first mallet! I’ve been seeing all these great pounders, thumpers, whackers, and smackers that everyone has been displaying on the internet and on TV shows and finally could take no more of the bounce-back prone rubber mallet I’ve been using. As it happens, when I bought the supplies to build the bench back in August, I also acquired a nice hickory plank (4”x3/4” x 4’) to ...
Please click here for this image heavy post. For those of you who don’t know me, I am an amateur astronomer (besides dabbling in woodworking, writing, art, etc…). I started an astronomy at Wordpress lately to post pictures I’ve been taking through my telescope and other tidbits. I thought of a way yesterday to merge my two biggest hobbies, astronomy and woodworking. I decided to make a base for my Telrad reflex sight, to fit atop the Texas Yard Cannon. And, to make...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1040 parts
- Extremely Average - 325 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 85 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- Just for Fun... - 72 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Workshop Development - 64 parts
- 52 Weeks - 52 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1062 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 384 entries
- Ecocandle - 326 entries
- dbhost - 318 entries
- Martin Sojka - 294 entries
- Karson - 288 entries
- MsDebbieP - 283 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- William - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Stevinmarin - 197 entries
- mafe - 187 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 182 entries
- Rustic - 182 entries
- PurpLev - 159 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 146 entries
- scottb - 144 entries
- kosta - 144 entries