Here’s a little idea I had last night, & decided to work out a way I could do it. It’s a Fully Off Axis Stemmed Goblet, where the whole of the stem is a half inch (13mm) off set from the cup & the base. To do this, I roughed to round, formed the cup, hollowed out (leaving the walls rather thicker than usual) & finished the inside & outside of the cup. (I should have also finished the shoulder of the stem section too…I’ll know for next time!) I then ...
Well today was kind of slow but I did accomplish a few things just not in the shop. My new HVLP spray gun arrived this morning, and I have to say that those guys from GleemPaint are on the ball.Ordered the gun Friday and arrived on Monday with standard shipping now that is the way to do business. I had decided to finish this bed with lacquer and it was recommended by a fellow LJ member that a good product for a rookie such as myself would be a pre-cat lacquer that is fast drying and wou...
Just starting on a new project; end table for the living room. Started with a design from Woodsmith magazine and made some changes in size and design. First made a prototype leg out of mahogany. Next step will be to figure out what type of finish to use. Will post a sketch of the end table next time.
I spent a couple of hours going over a suggestion that maybe I should make the bed outer case deeper so I can make the cabinets deeper so I got out the cutlist program and put in the new numbers and no matter what I came up with I was at least one sheet of plywood short. We choose Mahogany for this project and at $73.00 a sheet along with a 100 mile round trip to get it we just went back to the original plans. So off I went and using my new Gorilla Gripper carried the 1st sheet over to ...
So anyway, when I was last in the shop I left off here… an unfinished urn…And there it sat… and sat… never to be finished???Older Brother Steve is gone now… and at peace. He’ll have no use for it…Younger Brother Scott called and asked me to give him a hand, moving furniture and things out of Steve’s place a couple of weeks ago… I arrived a little early, in the rain, feeling a little low… But, whatever your beliefs, you have to admit ...
Wash Coat #2: Waterborne Finish Coatings As previously mentioned in Preventing Blotching Using A Wash Coat #1, most any standard finish can be used as a wash coat. These are Lacquer (both waterborne and solvent type/nitrocellulose), polyurethane (both waterborne and oil based), Oil-based Varnish, and Shellac. The above being said, lets talk Waterbourne. It really makes no difference which you use waterborne lacquer, waterborne shellac or waterborne polyurethane since they all are simply...
I’m glad I caught this and not one of my kids. i never would have heard the end of it. I was installing the pegs on the other side of the seat when I noticed the bracket for the arms was loose. I was initially concerned because it was loose but I couldn’t get it out. I messed with it a bit trying to be careful that I didn’t make it worse when it suddenly popped out. I hadn’t put any glue on at all. Oh well…at least I know the joint is tight. Doh!....where̵...
I know those are not words that all of us like hearing. But long before Game of Thrones was ever thought of, Keith used to tease me because I used that phrase frequently this time of year as I purchased extra essentials and prepared for the long, cold days ahead when we may not be able to get to the store. Being prepared is important and coming from Chicago, I was no stranger to sudden snow squalls which left the area crippled for sometimes several days. Now living in rural Nova Scotia, I fee...
When my grandad was a carpenter he worked in Aras an Uachtairain (the irish presidents house), he brought this table home from there one day when he was in his 20’s because it was going to be thrown out, he did some repairs and salvaged it. But after being used for 60 years (which the first governor of ireland wrote on the table) and then being used another 40 years when my grandad got it, it was in pretty bad shape. My granny said i could do what i wanted to do with it, because she had...
The third box in my series (the middle one), while still a beginner project presented me with a few new challenges. As I mentioned in the previous post in the series, I resawed some leftover decking for this project. The sides are quartersawn 3/8ths mahogany, glued together with simple butt joints. When the time came to select a piece for the top, I realized I needed a bigger board. After weighing a few options, I decided to glue up a couple more 3/8th pieces – that I had to r...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1694 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 92 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 69 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1719 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- dbhost - 403 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- mafe - 286 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 231 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- stefang - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 203 entries
- robscastle - 196 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 190 entries
- Dave Rutan - 190 entries
- Rustic - 190 entries