Quick post here – 0400 comes awfully early… Here is my rough drawing of how I will lay out my shop. NOTES: ShopVac will be under the bench ShopSmith is questionable at this point, but it’s the only jointer I have right now, so it stays for now Brown rectangles with thick black border are workbenches Restricted area is immovable, lost space The purple area is the lazy susan that will hold the 4 tools as noted If you’ve got ideas, recommendations or ...
This week I decided to make a two fer project..lol… It is a 2 sided game and message board. On one side you have a checkerboard and on the other side a chalkboard. It is meant to hang on the wall so the checkerboard and checkers are magnetic. The main frame is Maple, the checkerboard is oak and aspen with the boarder being mahogany. The chalkboard is birch plywood primed and 3 coats of chalkboard paint. And it is finished with Tung oil Varnish
Mahogany Kitchen Stool Project #6: Finding shop time in a busy schedule -or- Making slats & cutting pieces
The next step in this project is making the curved slats for the back of the stool. The process is the same as for the curved parts with a couple exceptions. First the pieces for each set of slats are cut from two blocks. These blocks were next to each other when cut from the large stock. Instead of marking with a saw cut as I did last time, I used a permanent marker. By angling one stripe across both blocks, I am able to keep the strips in order. The total number of stripes tells me w...
I have been building the drawers. Here is a jpg of the model. I started with some layout. Then I cut the fingers with a jig I made. I was left with this. I ran a rabbett down the drawer side. The drawer side fingers were left proud. I pillowed them with sandpaper. More Pillowing I was left with this.A glueup. I didn’t get a picture but I ran a dado on the sides for the backs to sit in and another all around for the drawer bottom. Here it is wit...
I began working on this in high school, but had to rush to finish in spring of senior year. I started with a Nakashima design for ideas then ran with my own vision (with a little guidance from my teacher). The entire piece was crafted by hand (with a little cheating here and there). As soon as I can gain access to a wood shop, I will do some touch-up work and finish polishing it. I have come a long way, but it is far from complete. Here is what I have so far… created in just over 2 semester...
I’ve always loved the Adironack Chair. Some of my fondest memories are sitting in one and relaxing with a cold drink, watching the sunset when it’s the perfect temperature, with just a hint of a soft breeze. So when a few years back when my wife and I bought our first house, we needed the perfect Adirondack chair for the backyard. One that was comfortable, but not too low to the ground. One that didn’t feel like you were too reclined. I looked high and low for the perfect...
I completed the other paddle this weekend. Both are all done exept for the finishing. I’ve decided against doing any fiberglassing. I’m planning on using the West Systems epoxy with the 207 hardener and then 3 coats of Epifanes varnish. I’m going to wait for the warmer drier weather later in the week. I’ve noticed big differences in the epoxy finish depending on the weather. I didn’t take as many pictures of the process on this one…basically the same as ...
What a great Sunday I had. And since the J-E-T-S were on I didn’t miss watching any football. Just kidding, gotta give them credit, they still had a nice year. Anyhow, back to my nice day. My compatriot John T, came over today to help me with some odds and ends. First, the cover of my Ridgid drill press was broken off where it screws into the top. So we lathered it up with some epoxy, and that seems to have fixed it. Also, John gave me a tutorial in cleaning up old hand saws. Here...
I already had the pieces for the inner frame ripped and cut to length so I thought I would get the inner frame assembled today. The first thing I did was set up a stop system so I could keep the pieces aligned from end to end. Then since I am pretty sure I will be building at least 2 maybe 3 more of these I made a story stick for the hole locations that hold the cross frame members in a “L” shape. Then it was a matter of putting one piece between the stops laying dow...
After getting my Murphy bed installed it is time to turn my attention to the side cabinets. I am going to use the basic plans that came with the Murphy bed hardware kit but will be needing to make some modifications. One of the major changes will be adapting the upper part of the cabinet to use an antique leaded glass door that my SO retrieved from an old house when she lived in northern Ohio. The other challenge will be modifying the right cabinet to account for a heat/ac vent that...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1262 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 94 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 87 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Just for Fun... - 82 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 73 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1284 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 388 entries
- dbhost - 367 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 311 entries
- Karson - 301 entries
- Martin Sojka - 297 entries
- William - 255 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- mafe - 216 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 187 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- Rustic - 183 entries
- shipwright - 168 entries
- PurpLev - 163 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 159 entries
- stefang - 148 entries