The islands were stained, glazed and lacquered. Then we loaded them both into the truck for delivery. It rained all the way to the job site but quit long enough for us to get them unloaded. It took about 8 guys to get them into the house and set in place. After setting in place I attached 4 corbels, (4 still in shop getting outlets put in them) and installed the 2 spice racks. Karson, you can now see how huge this main kitchen is. The whole room is about 30’ X 30...
This is just a quick blog to show my progress so far on the base. Since very few have Legacy Mills I have forgone the process on using it for this. This is the first part where you will see that I am not making a traditional Pie Crust Table. Like I said in my previous blogs this will be different. I guess you can say that I am going for a Jacobean/Medieval look. Google some images on Jacobean to see what I mean. The Jacobean style was big into spirals.....This started out at a big piec...
After getting my Murphy bed installed it is time to turn my attention to the side cabinets. I am going to use the basic plans that came with the Murphy bed hardware kit but will be needing to make some modifications. One of the major changes will be adapting the upper part of the cabinet to use an antique leaded glass door that my SO retrieved from an old house when she lived in northern Ohio. The other challenge will be modifying the right cabinet to account for a heat/ac vent that...
After 3 days of raining I finally was able to bring the main bed assembly up to the house to get ready for the final assembly and installation. The first thing I did was place the main assembly face down on the floor and set the outer case verticals on each side. After inseting the pivot pins of each vertical into the mating piece on the bed frame I used the E-clips to lock them in place. I then placed the head board in position and since I did not have one clamp that would span the ent...
Today I applied the finish coats of lacquer to all of the pieces. After a couple of hours of drying time I put all of the hardware pieces on, installed the legs as well as the center fake legs/ pull handles. I have come to the conclusion that I need a lot of help with using a spray gun. I either left out a step or do not have the settings right but even though I got a pretty nice finish it is not a really really nice finish that I have achieved with my hand applied finishes in the past....
Here starts something I always wanted to make. A pie crust table. This picture will give you an idea of what it will look like.. ..Now mine will have a top that looks like this one, but I plan on doing something different for the legs. I will be unique. It’s something that just came to me... Lets start with the top. I had the perfect piece of 6/4 mahogany that I have been saving for this. The problem is that it was a little too short for the diameter top I wanted to make. Here ...
Well this morning I smoothed up the pieces with a quick sanding of 400 grit and then blew off all the dust and wiped down with a tack cloth. I then sprayed a finish coat of lacquer on the inside of the bed frame as well as both sides of the outer case verticals, header and head board. The only thing left to do is put a finish coat or maybe two on the outer face of the bed frame that is exposed when the bed is folded up. I was going to do that this afternoon but had a breakdown with m...
After a couple of days of getting my nerve up to tackle the spraying of lacquer I made the plunge today. I am using ML Campbell’s Pre-Cat Lacquer with a Wagner HVLP Conversion Spray Gun. I did a little practice on a large piece of cardboard and then some more on the inside of the bed frame that will never be seen by anyone. After some tinkering with the controls I finally got a pretty nice pattern. I then sprayed the outer case, headboard, and header with one coat on each side....
Well today I went out and bought myself a good respirator to use when spraying paint and lacquer. Then after getting back home I went out and put some mineral spirits in my new spray gun and set up a large piece of cardboard and went to adjusting and practicing. I think I have the air adjustments very close to what needs to be when I actually start spraying the lacquer. I will just have to spend a few minutes adjusting the material flow once I get real lacquer in the gun. I also fiddle...
Well this morning I got out to the shop and sanded all of the outer case sides, headboard, and header. Then after sweeping the shop real good and then running the shop vac I let the air cleaner run for about an hour. I then cleaned off all the parts once again and got out the stain and put a coat of stain on everything. All that’s left to do now is let it dry and I will be ready to start something new for me and that is spraying lacquer. I have several test pieces as...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1387 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Just for Fun... - 84 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1410 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 394 entries
- dbhost - 389 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- mafe - 229 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 193 entries
- Rustic - 185 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- shipwright - 180 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 166 entries
- stefang - 164 entries
- PurpLev - 163 entries