I got my moldings yesterday and started cutting it to size today. I went with a rather inexpensive precut molding in order to keep the cost down a little. I considered using Sepele but the molding would have cost more than the bed. So here I am cutting my moldings into picture frames to put on the face panels. Then I put them out to make sure everything looked right. Once I was satisfied with everything I put a coat of stain on before I attached them to the face frame. Sin...
Thursday I spent most of the morning researching for a spray gun then did some sanding and got what I have done so far ready to assemble. Friday I got some small things finished up getting ready to make the final push to complete the outer case for the bed. Before going out to the shop I confirmed my order for a new HVLP spray gun and it should be here by the first of the week. I then attached the frame structure to the face panels using construction adhesive and screws. Then ...
Had an enjoyable day but again what day is not enjoyable when you get to spend it making sawdust? The first thing I did today is finish out my location jig so that for all future beds I will be able to align the pieces in the jig mark all the locations and do a quick check with the ruler and drill and cut. The first pic shows the jig with all of the holes and locations finished and properly marked. The second one shows the jig in position to lay out the opening for the Left Panel Lockin...
Finally after getting the table saw and tuning it, I’m able to get back on track with woodworking projects… I still dont have my router table, so using the incra fence wouldn’t be possible to get the dovetails done. I read “The Bandsaw Book”, and it had a really nice Jig for making dovetails on the bandsaw with handcut look and fit, but with the automation of a machine and jig. I really liked the idea, and figured I’d use that technique. unfortunatel...
Last time I got a mite confused on laying out the hardware on the side rails and came very close to making a boo boo. Before I got too far I went back to the DVD and watched a segment that cleared things up. You put the left rail on the right and the right rail on the left with the top facing away from you. It is very important that the hardware gets mounted correctly in relation to a 1” dia hole that is bored thru each side rail. Once I got all that figured out I and done I tran...
I spent a couple of hours going over a suggestion that maybe I should make the bed outer case deeper so I can make the cabinets deeper so I got out the cutlist program and put in the new numbers and no matter what I came up with I was at least one sheet of plywood short. We choose Mahogany for this project and at $73.00 a sheet along with a 100 mile round trip to get it we just went back to the original plans. So off I went and using my new Gorilla Gripper carried the 1st sheet over to ...
I already had the pieces for the inner frame ripped and cut to length so I thought I would get the inner frame assembled today. The first thing I did was set up a stop system so I could keep the pieces aligned from end to end. Then since I am pretty sure I will be building at least 2 maybe 3 more of these I made a story stick for the hole locations that hold the cross frame members in a “L” shape. Then it was a matter of putting one piece between the stops laying dow...
After several months of planning and measuring as well as saving up the bucks to do this thing I started on my Murphy Bed with side Cabinets for one of our spare bedrooms. Since I live in a double wide mfg home this makes the most sense to free up the space in a modest 11×12 foot bedroom. I decided to use the hardware system from http://www.wallbed.com You can purchase this hardware kit from several different sources anywhere from $279 to $299. I found that the ones that were selli...
I began working on this in high school, but had to rush to finish in spring of senior year. I started with a Nakashima design for ideas then ran with my own vision (with a little guidance from my teacher). The entire piece was crafted by hand (with a little cheating here and there). As soon as I can gain access to a wood shop, I will do some touch-up work and finish polishing it. I have come a long way, but it is far from complete. Here is what I have so far… created in just over 2 semester...
My nightstand is finished, finally. This took way to long to complete; the plans were poor and really got me into a funk that was hard to shake. Fortunatly Darrell Peart came through with e-mail support and I was able to get it all together. And from the side: Material is African Mahogany and Ebony accents. Finish was from Darrell’s blog using water based dye. It’s darker than I expected, even making a test board in advance. Top coat is Arm-r-seal in gloss, six coat...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1263 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 95 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 88 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Just for Fun... - 82 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 75 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1285 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 388 entries
- dbhost - 369 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 311 entries
- Karson - 301 entries
- Martin Sojka - 297 entries
- William - 257 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- mafe - 216 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 187 entries
- Rustic - 184 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- shipwright - 168 entries
- PurpLev - 163 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 160 entries
- stefang - 148 entries