After 3 days of raining I finally was able to bring the main bed assembly up to the house to get ready for the final assembly and installation. The first thing I did was place the main assembly face down on the floor and set the outer case verticals on each side. After inseting the pivot pins of each vertical into the mating piece on the bed frame I used the E-clips to lock them in place. I then placed the head board in position and since I did not have one clamp that would span the ent...
Today I applied the finish coats of lacquer to all of the pieces. After a couple of hours of drying time I put all of the hardware pieces on, installed the legs as well as the center fake legs/ pull handles. I have come to the conclusion that I need a lot of help with using a spray gun. I either left out a step or do not have the settings right but even though I got a pretty nice finish it is not a really really nice finish that I have achieved with my hand applied finishes in the past....
Here starts something I always wanted to make. A pie crust table. This picture will give you an idea of what it will look like.. ..Now mine will have a top that looks like this one, but I plan on doing something different for the legs. I will be unique. It’s something that just came to me... Lets start with the top. I had the perfect piece of 6/4 mahogany that I have been saving for this. The problem is that it was a little too short for the diameter top I wanted to make. Here ...
Well this morning I smoothed up the pieces with a quick sanding of 400 grit and then blew off all the dust and wiped down with a tack cloth. I then sprayed a finish coat of lacquer on the inside of the bed frame as well as both sides of the outer case verticals, header and head board. The only thing left to do is put a finish coat or maybe two on the outer face of the bed frame that is exposed when the bed is folded up. I was going to do that this afternoon but had a breakdown with m...
After a couple of days of getting my nerve up to tackle the spraying of lacquer I made the plunge today. I am using ML Campbell’s Pre-Cat Lacquer with a Wagner HVLP Conversion Spray Gun. I did a little practice on a large piece of cardboard and then some more on the inside of the bed frame that will never be seen by anyone. After some tinkering with the controls I finally got a pretty nice pattern. I then sprayed the outer case, headboard, and header with one coat on each side....
Well today I went out and bought myself a good respirator to use when spraying paint and lacquer. Then after getting back home I went out and put some mineral spirits in my new spray gun and set up a large piece of cardboard and went to adjusting and practicing. I think I have the air adjustments very close to what needs to be when I actually start spraying the lacquer. I will just have to spend a few minutes adjusting the material flow once I get real lacquer in the gun. I also fiddle...
Well this morning I got out to the shop and sanded all of the outer case sides, headboard, and header. Then after sweeping the shop real good and then running the shop vac I let the air cleaner run for about an hour. I then cleaned off all the parts once again and got out the stain and put a coat of stain on everything. All that’s left to do now is let it dry and I will be ready to start something new for me and that is spraying lacquer. I have several test pieces as...
After a couple of days of mowing grass, moving all the plants out of the greenhouse/paint booth and cleaning up things I managed to get back in the shop and do some work today. After all the clean up I took the assembled frame and moved it to the cleaned out section that I have up front in the shop. I originally enclosed a 10×10 section with heavy plastic so LOML can bring her plants in to winter over. I then proceeded to cut the outer Cabinet Verticals, Headboard and Header Board ...
Yesterday was a day of taking care of all the things that get neglected when we are in the shop having fun. There has been quite a bit of rain here and it was finally dry enough to cut some grass. I have about 2 1/2 acres here, not all has grass on it but enough that it takes about 3 hours to cut it all. Then some new headlights arrived for our old 96 Ford Escort and I needed to put those in. By that time the day was pretty well shot. Today I have am going to clean off the front a...
Well today was kind of slow but I did accomplish a few things just not in the shop. My new HVLP spray gun arrived this morning, and I have to say that those guys from GleemPaint are on the ball.Ordered the gun Friday and arrived on Monday with standard shipping now that is the way to do business. I had decided to finish this bed with lacquer and it was recommended by a fellow LJ member that a good product for a rookie such as myself would be a pre-cat lacquer that is fast drying and wou...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1265 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 95 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 88 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Just for Fun... - 82 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 75 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1287 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 388 entries
- dbhost - 370 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 311 entries
- Karson - 301 entries
- Martin Sojka - 297 entries
- William - 257 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- mafe - 216 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 187 entries
- Rustic - 184 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- shipwright - 168 entries
- PurpLev - 163 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 161 entries
- stefang - 148 entries