I haven’t got much done yet on the Celtic Knot carving. We’ve been up at our cabin, & there’s a lot of upkeep that hasn’t been done in the last couple of years, so please be patient with me.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ This is how far I’ve gotten so far.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ I started getting sore fingers from this knife I’ve been using. So I decided to make something...
As I mentioned in my recent workbench blog, I had used inverted dovetail joinery to connect the skirt of the benchtop to the endcap. just like Arabian Nights, there are 1001 stories why joinery can get screwed up- mine were rushing + miscalculating + lack of experience + other. All of these matter not, and the end result is a misaligned, crooked, awfully looking, and unacceptable dovetail fit: you can plainly see the tearout and large gaps between the mating parts, and the misalignment on ...
Well I am making some progress abeit that it is slow. I was in limbo wondering what I was going to do for the false drawer front material. I am trying to keep my cost down and really didn’t want to purchase mahogany to make the fronts out of. I was browsing around one of the hardwood stores that I purchaase from over in Memphis and got to talking to one of the sales reps and told him what I was trying to do and he put me on a species of wood that I had never used before and said that...
I spent about 3 1/2 hours carving out the background, establishing the approximate depth to the relief. Barb was busy taking pictures during the process. The Mahogany is real easy carving, but it may be a little brittle when I start carving the details. That remains to be seen.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Here’s a video slideshow of the progression._The Music is from a free download Handmade Music, by “Kentucky Thunder” on the DIY ne...
I showed Barb this kit the other day, & immediately she said, ”I want one.” When the Sweetie wants something, I usually comply to her wishes. Besides, I can try making something I’ve never done before. This is the kit I ordered, it's called a Reverie Harp.. One thing about this Harp is, anyone can play it because of the way it’s tuned. It has a real soothing sound.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ This is a picture of the parts ...
The islands were stained, glazed and lacquered. Then we loaded them both into the truck for delivery. It rained all the way to the job site but quit long enough for us to get them unloaded. It took about 8 guys to get them into the house and set in place. After setting in place I attached 4 corbels, (4 still in shop getting outlets put in them) and installed the 2 spice racks. Karson, you can now see how huge this main kitchen is. The whole room is about 30’ X 30...
This is just a quick blog to show my progress so far on the base. Since very few have Legacy Mills I have forgone the process on using it for this. This is the first part where you will see that I am not making a traditional Pie Crust Table. Like I said in my previous blogs this will be different. I guess you can say that I am going for a Jacobean/Medieval look. Google some images on Jacobean to see what I mean. The Jacobean style was big into spirals.....This started out at a big piec...
After getting my Murphy bed installed it is time to turn my attention to the side cabinets. I am going to use the basic plans that came with the Murphy bed hardware kit but will be needing to make some modifications. One of the major changes will be adapting the upper part of the cabinet to use an antique leaded glass door that my SO retrieved from an old house when she lived in northern Ohio. The other challenge will be modifying the right cabinet to account for a heat/ac vent that...
After 3 days of raining I finally was able to bring the main bed assembly up to the house to get ready for the final assembly and installation. The first thing I did was place the main assembly face down on the floor and set the outer case verticals on each side. After inseting the pivot pins of each vertical into the mating piece on the bed frame I used the E-clips to lock them in place. I then placed the head board in position and since I did not have one clamp that would span the ent...
Today I applied the finish coats of lacquer to all of the pieces. After a couple of hours of drying time I put all of the hardware pieces on, installed the legs as well as the center fake legs/ pull handles. I have come to the conclusion that I need a lot of help with using a spray gun. I either left out a step or do not have the settings right but even though I got a pretty nice finish it is not a really really nice finish that I have achieved with my hand applied finishes in the past....
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1189 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 87 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Just for Fun... - 81 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 67 parts
- Workshop Development - 65 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1211 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 388 entries
- dbhost - 331 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 300 entries
- Martin Sojka - 297 entries
- Karson - 293 entries
- William - 249 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- mafe - 206 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 187 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- Rustic - 183 entries
- PurpLev - 162 entries
- shipwright - 160 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 159 entries
- stefang - 145 entries