I’ve had this project on the back burner (literally- it was standing in the back on the burner…) for a long time (just click on the “Previous blog entry” and you’ll see what I mean). and I think it’s due to the fact I have high expectations out of this project, that sometimes I feel are a bit over my capabilities and abilities at this day and age. But… I finally got some courage, and cut the carcass down so I can pick up on this project, and move o...
So I now have my first experience with Waterlox finish, and am reasonably happy with the results. I brushed it on, but eventually gave up and shifted to a rag. It is a bit unforgiving with drips and streaks, but I think I fixed a few bad layers with some sandpaper. Only time will tell if it will be durable enough to protect from scratches. One question remains – what type of wood comprises this desk? This desk was once in the Swedish embassy (40-50 years ago), and had since been ...
The change in progress: towards a “new end”. Sorry, I don´t know what the problem was, but here you have the video working. I checked it. As I told you I had to do some modifications in order to accomplish a “new” requirement of my client. The client decided to make a change: he need an access to the desk’s inside, when her products are exposed on the counter. After thinking about the possible solutions and having to keep the structural solidity, I dec...
There hasn’t been a lot to report on this lately. We’re talking finishing here and it’s pretty droll stuff.If you recall we left off hereNow my Dad had a great suggestion regarding the prominent “stripes” on the lid, which are, of course, merely leftover stain in the hollows of the contour. He said, “You ought to paint them. Paint them black. Shiny black..” And so I didI actually painted them again the following morning after this. The first coat just...
The client decided to make a change: he need an access to the desk’s inside, when her products are exposed on the counter. After thinking about the possible solutions and having to keep the structural solidity, I decided that easiest alternative was to cut the desk board. One of the questions was how to make the holes for the axes in such a small space. I found only one solution: to tear off the central piece for drilling, so that after glueing, the piece could looked like before manipu...
So I overcame the router issue with a new router. I bought a Triton 2 1/4 HP model. It seems to work OK so far, although all of the accessories are different than the Porter Cable versions, so I am slowly building up what I have for it. Some of the attachments are a bit awkward—the plate to support bushings didn’t line up quite right with the bottom of the router, and the hose connection requires a threaded 1 1/2 hose. Fortunately, I could work around both these issues. On ...
I have just five minutes, but I’ll put some pictures of the work. The raw work is over: God willingly, tomorrow I’ll began with adjusting, sanding and finishing. What do you think of the whole? Tonight I’ll sit for a while and try to post a video. See you later, ...”sawdust-gators”.
Although all my previous designing, my efforts to get the piece of furniture to the very best end I can, usually met lots of minor cuestions to be solved, before finishing the job to my complete satisfaction. And this is the reason why the work sticks to the bench towards the end. Actually I’m never 100% satisfy. That’s the price I pay for the personal discoverys that represent my designs. Others don’t find it that much important, but it i...
While I’m ammonia fuming another project, I figured I’d make progress on this one. I pulled a WoodWhisperer and threw away the tape measure. I milled the ends to the proper thickness (which also gave me some nice mahogany veneer). I can’t tell you how lovely working mahogany is, compared to oak. Then while the stock was still one long piece, I used the table saw blade to make the dado that fits the tongue on the top (Darrell calls it the “core”). I achieved ...
As I was waiting for another project to dry, I did a little work on the table top. I had cut it oversized on purpose to take advantage of the wavy figure in the board. I then had to face the difficult decision of how to trim it down for a sofa/foyer table that didn’t stick too far out. I settled on a 14” wide board, which leaves plenty of room for a decent overhand in the front, 2 1/4” legs, and a side apron that doesn’t look like a chubby baby’s leg. I the...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1263 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 95 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 88 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Just for Fun... - 82 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 75 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1285 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 388 entries
- dbhost - 370 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 311 entries
- Karson - 301 entries
- Martin Sojka - 297 entries
- William - 257 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- mafe - 216 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 187 entries
- Rustic - 184 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- shipwright - 168 entries
- PurpLev - 163 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 161 entries
- stefang - 148 entries