Not much to say, nor anything to show in this post. Just received the locking hardware from Lee Valley which was the last thing I needed to finish this build at this point. I thought about making the locking set myself, but seeing the set LV offers it just didn’t make any sense so I just ordered it from them with the Free Shipping they offer this week. arrived in 2 days and installed today – very nice set, and works like a charm. The set I got is this one: And can be foun...
I almost titled this “Screw Up #2” since I had a little mishap when cutting the spline slots on the first top I made. I had my router set up in a table and cut the slots in all of the breadboard ends. Then I pulled the whole router with plate out of the table, flipped it over, and cut the slots on my top. Then I discovered that the router had somehow moved a strong 1/32” and the slots were noticably off center. I let out a pretty good string of 4 letter words but then realiz...
Jack and Jill, Went up the hill.To fetch a pail of water. Jack fell down,And broke his crown,And Jill came tumbling after. Then up Jack got,and home did trot.To old dame dob,Who fixed his KNOB,With vinegar and brown paper. What does this have to do with a machinist toolbox? well. I also had to fix my knobs, but not with vinegar and not with brown paper (although the walnut IS indeed brown)... read on: I wasn’t feeling too well today so I probably should not have done much wo...
I mentioned it in the previous post and as I was working on the drawers I had the main carcass take the finish to make use of time. Mahogany much like Oak has large open pores. My finishing goal was more for practice than necessity, but I was aiming for an antique polished look – shiny outside. I knew I would have to fill in those pores if I want an even polished surface. So my plan was to start with a filler coat which I tried to concoct using dewaxed shellac and mahogany sanding sa...
What do you know, I was able to use the last 3 days for some extra shop time! As planned, I cut the drawers parts on day 1 (not a full day, but it did happen on the first day). On day 2 I was able to build the drawers and glue them up. The plan was to use half blind dovetails for the solid maple fronts. I must say, making these many dovetails at such a small scale was exhausting (but good practice)! the joints improved from one drawer to the next, not all perfect, but considering the scale...
The gorilla glue squeeze out was much easier to clean up that I expected but I could still kick myself for not applying masking tape before I saw the drips starting. It would have saved me a couple hours of work. I’m really enjoying my time off from work and being able to spend my days in my shop instead of my office and I’m making some great progress. In the last few days I’ve accomplished the following: 1. Frames fully trimed and cleaned up. I just need to do the ebo...
I making some picture frames for the family this holiday season. The design draws heavily from Darrell Peart’s Seattle Frame. I did a quick mock up in CAD to play with the proportions. If anyone’s interested, I could upload some dimensioned drawings. After several prototypes to get the joinery right, it was time top cut some mahogany. I got a piece with nice straight grain: Pieces laid out: Stock all milled with square holes made next to the prototype: ...
I didn’t make as much progress as I’d hoped a couple of weeks ago when I posted my last blog but I just started a 2 week break for the holidays and am planning to spend most of it in my shop. With any luck I’ll get these finished before I go back to work. I hate typing and I do a lot of typing at work so I’m mostly going to let the pictures do the talking: I’ve got both both frames glued up, here’s one: One top glued up and ready to cut to size...
Yesterday as planned I was able to trim the back panel, and fit the horizontal dividers and top panel so that it all fits together: Knowing the there are a lot of glue surfaces I didn’t want to take the chance of screwing it up (since I wanted to eliminate all metal fasteners …lol) so I did the glue up in stages. First was glueing up the drawer dividers to one another. I used the side of the box and the 2 rails to keep things aligned and in position while I only glued the d...
Yesterday I was able to cut the tails on the carcass side parts. I used the bandsaw to cut the tails because the blade cuts straight and is narrow, although I did get some rough cut surface this time because I have a kink in the blade. I’m thinking in the future to use the Table saw with the blade tilted at ~10 degrees and the part passed vertically much like cutting box joints, but that will have to wait for future projects as for the time being -these tails are cut already. Once th...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1828 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Toy costruction - 131 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 115 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 98 parts
- Woodworking on a Half-Shoestring - 91 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Shop stuff - 85 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 82 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1853 entries
- dbhost - 452 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- mafe - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- Dave Rutan - 275 entries
- robscastle - 263 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 258 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 233 entries
- bandit571 - 229 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries