Had I realized there are a total of 40 decorative plugs and splines required for each table I might have chosen some other project. This is going to get real tedious by the time I’m done but I think it will be worth it… The bread board spline is pretty straight forward. Here’s a trial spline I made with hickory and a black sharpie for practice: For the plugs on the legs I made a few jigs to help mark the cuts. If I just layed them out with pencil I’m sure I w...
Right Click to DownloadRight Click to Download in HDSubscription Options In the final part of this series, I do the final work on the stretchers and then its time for the glueup! The table top gets a special profile as well as a few cable recesses for the monitor and mouse cables. The top is attached via screws in elongated slots, and the counter sink holes are hidden using tapered plugs. Of course, the desk needs a good finish and Arm-R-Seal Stain fits the bill nicely! Topics Covere...
While waiting for glue to dry I tackled the large drawer that will be faced with the mahogany/maple-stripe front. After the last project where I used dovetails for all the small drawer I wisened up (is that a word?!?) and went with box joint. My box joint jig is based on my Incra 998SE Miter gauge . The 1000SE comes with the flip stop which is very useful with 2 built in stops, and a micro adjustment which I use to sneak up to a perfect box joint fit. For added stability I also use the...
Yes it has been a while – and much of it… too much. Since I’m in the zone these past couple of weeks, and a bit more in the woodshop mind set, and add to that the fact that I’ve been working with mahogany and had some leftover boards I was able to finally (yay – after some years) mill the last missing parts for this box. I was able to cut the parts for the doors and cut the joinery for the reminder of the parts (internal parts and bottom on the external pie...
Not much to say, nor anything to show in this post. Just received the locking hardware from Lee Valley which was the last thing I needed to finish this build at this point. I thought about making the locking set myself, but seeing the set LV offers it just didn’t make any sense so I just ordered it from them with the Free Shipping they offer this week. arrived in 2 days and installed today – very nice set, and works like a charm. The set I got is this one: And can be foun...
I almost titled this “Screw Up #2” since I had a little mishap when cutting the spline slots on the first top I made. I had my router set up in a table and cut the slots in all of the breadboard ends. Then I pulled the whole router with plate out of the table, flipped it over, and cut the slots on my top. Then I discovered that the router had somehow moved a strong 1/32” and the slots were noticably off center. I let out a pretty good string of 4 letter words but then realiz...
Jack and Jill, Went up the hill.To fetch a pail of water. Jack fell down,And broke his crown,And Jill came tumbling after. Then up Jack got,and home did trot.To old dame dob,Who fixed his KNOB,With vinegar and brown paper. What does this have to do with a machinist toolbox? well. I also had to fix my knobs, but not with vinegar and not with brown paper (although the walnut IS indeed brown)... read on: I wasn’t feeling too well today so I probably should not have done much wo...
I mentioned it in the previous post and as I was working on the drawers I had the main carcass take the finish to make use of time. Mahogany much like Oak has large open pores. My finishing goal was more for practice than necessity, but I was aiming for an antique polished look – shiny outside. I knew I would have to fill in those pores if I want an even polished surface. So my plan was to start with a filler coat which I tried to concoct using dewaxed shellac and mahogany sanding sa...
What do you know, I was able to use the last 3 days for some extra shop time! As planned, I cut the drawers parts on day 1 (not a full day, but it did happen on the first day). On day 2 I was able to build the drawers and glue them up. The plan was to use half blind dovetails for the solid maple fronts. I must say, making these many dovetails at such a small scale was exhausting (but good practice)! the joints improved from one drawer to the next, not all perfect, but considering the scale...
The gorilla glue squeeze out was much easier to clean up that I expected but I could still kick myself for not applying masking tape before I saw the drips starting. It would have saved me a couple hours of work. I’m really enjoying my time off from work and being able to spend my days in my shop instead of my office and I’m making some great progress. In the last few days I’ve accomplished the following: 1. Frames fully trimed and cleaned up. I just need to do the ebo...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1791 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Toy costruction - 114 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 110 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 98 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 81 parts
- Woodworking on a Half-Shoestring - 81 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1816 entries
- dbhost - 436 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- mafe - 313 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 254 entries
- robscastle - 241 entries
- Dave Rutan - 231 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 210 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 195 entries