As my “Honey-Do” and client projects wind down a little before it really gets cold here in Swellendam, I have at last made a start on my build. A few weeks of regular scrounging at my local tip has yielded some good lumber and adding this to my off cut stack, I think that I have enough lumber to do the job. Buying the hardware kit and plans from ASFM at $500.00 means I would have been into about ZAR6,500.00 before I even made a start. So…..enter “Shipwright” w...
Hey Guys, My neighbor very generously gave me this board: It is Luan mahogany, and is: 3/4” x 3 1/2” x 48” (T x W x L) So, what project should I do with it? Based on your suggestions, I’ll then build the project, and blog the build. Thanks in advance, and I’m looking forward to it!
Removing approximately 200 pounds of solid African Mahogany was pain staking. Setting up a plastic tent and wearing enough face and body gear to cure Ebola. lol When starting out it took four men to move the base and now two men can move this coffee table base. One of the dumb things that I did was take off the guard to one of my grinders so that I could get into the concave section of the lower legs. Then I hit a snag and the grinder pulled me in and grounded up a couple of my fingers, ma...
Here is a short Video link at Youtube where I’m carving the base with grinders. This is the beginning steps for smoothing and balancing the proportions of the table base. After this step I will start the sanding, I’ve been grinding away for around 80 hours so far. A lot more muscle work that I wasn’t expecting, but than again nothing in woodworking ever goes exactly as planed. lol Thank you for looking! View on YouTube
Today I am revealing the fourth and final new trinket box pattern that I created over the weekend. I was really pleased with all the kind reponses that I have received regarding them. It feels good to make something that people seem to like so much. I spent the day yesterday writing up the pattern packets for these projects. I tried to include some step-by-step photos so that even newer scrollers would be able to make the projects successfully. Actually they aren't that difficult at ...
Howdy, I’m redoing the tiniest of tiny bathrooms. One entire wall is occupied by the tub. The other wall is taken up by the vanity and one of those gigantic mirrors. In between those small walls is the throne. If you are seated at the throne, there is just enough room to open the door. Yep… Tiny! I started on the countertop simply because I already knew exactly how I wanted it. Here are a few work in progress shots. I have already received some outstandi...
Many people have contacted me concerning the specific mixing instructions to make homemade blotch control and specifics as to its application. So here they are. Mixing instructions Glue size is most commonly made of a watered-down, water-based, PVA adhesive. If you do plan to make your own, try something on the order of 10 parts (or a little less) water to one part Gorilla White Wood Glue. The ratios may vary with species and porosity of the wood. Use: Distilled Water (Can be purc...
Wood prep before finishing The secret to perfect finish is proper sanding of your project. All surfaces should be clean and free from all dirt and oils. Prep sanding is done with progressively finer grits. On unfinished wood, prepare the surface by using medium grit paper first, and then progress to finer grades. With most raw woods, if you are hand sanding, start sanding in the direction of the grain using a #100-150 grit paper before staining and work up to #220 grit paper. You can make ...
A False Start When I went to the lumber store to buy the 5/4 wood for the top and base I made the mistake of not bringing the plans or dimensions. I ended up making my best guess. When I got home and laid everything out I realized that had bought only enough that I had no margin for error. The base is 3” high and I had so little wood that I needed to be able to get all four parts of the base from a single board. My widest board was only about 6 1/4” wide. I hoped that after ...
Here is the first half case of the base for one of the cabinet/bookshelves… And a little while later, along came another… Seeing as how I haven’t totally screwed the entire project yet, I tried to get faceframes on the cases… Well, so far so good… now we need to make the top. That should tax my limited skill set!! (pictures when the top is done)
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1559 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 96 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- ScrollSaw Information and Resources - 68 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1584 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 395 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- mafe - 275 entries
- William - 258 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- shipwright - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 199 entries
- stefang - 188 entries
- Rustic - 188 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 181 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 175 entries