Another small step forward. I was able to mill some mahogany today for the face frames. I milled some 7/8”x1/2” strips from 1 long board that I was hoping would be enough for both front and back face frames but unfortunately it only yielded enough material for the front which is also all I had time today to manage. So I joint a board with my #6 so that I can then rip it on the TS to long narrow strips 7/8” wide (to cover the 3/4” plywood with excess that I could the...
Its been a while since the previous post mostly because I wasn’t sure I was happy with the original design. I went to the local lumber supplier that carries mahogany plywood and bought the 3/4” material for the carcass and baking. While there I had them cut the 1/2 full sheet to 2 halves (2 quarter sheets) so it’ll be easier for me to transport with my car (don’t have a large truck anymore). With the 2 pieces now sitting in the garage, the original design seemed ...
Shortly After completing the toolbox that was posted here: I realized that I’ll need some setup to hold the larger tool/components/etc as it just won’t fit into the small toolbox. I looked around at kennedy, snap-on, and other similar toolcarts and they are either too big or too $$$ for me, so I figured I might as well build something that would match the toolbox. After debating several design ideas, I think I’m going to go with the ‘simple’ plywood carcass w...
Not much to say, nor anything to show in this post. Just received the locking hardware from Lee Valley which was the last thing I needed to finish this build at this point. I thought about making the locking set myself, but seeing the set LV offers it just didn’t make any sense so I just ordered it from them with the Free Shipping they offer this week. arrived in 2 days and installed today – very nice set, and works like a charm. The set I got is this one: And can be foun...
Jack and Jill, Went up the hill.To fetch a pail of water. Jack fell down,And broke his crown,And Jill came tumbling after. Then up Jack got,and home did trot.To old dame dob,Who fixed his KNOB,With vinegar and brown paper. What does this have to do with a machinist toolbox? well. I also had to fix my knobs, but not with vinegar and not with brown paper (although the walnut IS indeed brown)... read on: I wasn’t feeling too well today so I probably should not have done much wo...
I mentioned it in the previous post and as I was working on the drawers I had the main carcass take the finish to make use of time. Mahogany much like Oak has large open pores. My finishing goal was more for practice than necessity, but I was aiming for an antique polished look – shiny outside. I knew I would have to fill in those pores if I want an even polished surface. So my plan was to start with a filler coat which I tried to concoct using dewaxed shellac and mahogany sanding sa...
What do you know, I was able to use the last 3 days for some extra shop time! As planned, I cut the drawers parts on day 1 (not a full day, but it did happen on the first day). On day 2 I was able to build the drawers and glue them up. The plan was to use half blind dovetails for the solid maple fronts. I must say, making these many dovetails at such a small scale was exhausting (but good practice)! the joints improved from one drawer to the next, not all perfect, but considering the scale...
Yesterday as planned I was able to trim the back panel, and fit the horizontal dividers and top panel so that it all fits together: Knowing the there are a lot of glue surfaces I didn’t want to take the chance of screwing it up (since I wanted to eliminate all metal fasteners …lol) so I did the glue up in stages. First was glueing up the drawer dividers to one another. I used the side of the box and the 2 rails to keep things aligned and in position while I only glued the d...
Yesterday I was able to cut the tails on the carcass side parts. I used the bandsaw to cut the tails because the blade cuts straight and is narrow, although I did get some rough cut surface this time because I have a kink in the blade. I’m thinking in the future to use the Table saw with the blade tilted at ~10 degrees and the part passed vertically much like cutting box joints, but that will have to wait for future projects as for the time being -these tails are cut already. Once th...
It was pouring outside, and so grey, but somehow the train kept on going. I somewhat planned for this in advance, and made sure I cut all the parts in advance so that I can continue working later on on the joinery in a more flexible manner, and flexible I mean literally as the kitchen counter flexed as I chiseled away. Then again, I was able to get some progress done while being with the family and not isolated in the garage. My daughter sat next to me watching me carve the sockets out with i...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1742 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 107 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 79 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1767 entries
- dbhost - 420 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- mafe - 304 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 246 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 220 entries
- robscastle - 218 entries
- Dave Rutan - 214 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 194 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 190 entries