I was able to figure out why the piece of plywood was not square to the other piece of the A-frame. It turned out that one of the angled wedges at the bottom was a little long and needed to be trimmed. The plywood was already in place and I didn’t feel like unclamping and lifting it off. I used my dozuki and trimmed a thin line between the wedge and ply and after fishing the sliver out from underneath I was able to pound the sheet down into place. I used a level and a framing square to ...
Ok, despite this morning’s drama, I manned up (just kidding, I felt better, if I still felt like that nothing would have been accomplished today) and got something done. At this point some thoughts and opinions on squaring up the A frame and how would I go about measuring the angle to make sure its true 5 degrees from centerline on either side? What I was able to do today was rather surprising. I almost finished, but didn’t know how exactly to get things lined up, so I clamp...
Well I thought I could have the whole cart knocked out in one day, but you wouldn’t believe how incredibly hard it is to work in a garage full of crap! Well, then again, maybe you have been there and can sympathize. Needless to say I made a lot of dust and made some big wood into smaller pieces today. I will let the photo do the talking because there isn’t much to say: torsion box + 4” wheels = platform. :-) As for design, there have been some changes to account for my st...
Part of my problem, which I assume all woodworkers have is that there is no such thing as scrap wood….thus the piles of ply and lumber everywhere. This leads me to where I am now, musing over a design or two to aid in my quest for floor space and for that matter to just be able to see my floor! At this point I grow weary of looking at sketchup and would like your thoughts. Picture #1 – the overall design, partly borrowed from the generic A frame you have all seen around, wit...
Well today I built another lumber storage rack. This one I put up in the far corner of the garage next to a larger rack I hung several years ago. In my quest to free up more floor space I wanted to eliminate this storage bin. I made for scaps that are too long to go under a bench but it just never worked for me. Here is the new rack in construction. It was made from scraps. Hung up in its new home Here it is loaded up with all the stuff from the other bin. Look at all that floor s...
A few months back. Mike (jockmike2) and I went in together on a couple hundred board feet of air dried lumber at Raven’s Farm, a mill that is local to us. The cost came out to about 1.25 a board foot which was a steal as far as I was concerned. Boards have been setting for a bit, with a dozen getting acclimated to the shop. I don’t have the space for a jointer so have been working the boards with a recent plane addition and then running them through my Ridgid. Woodworking i...
Hey all, Thanks for checking out my first blog post!I’ve been collecting logs for the past year or so with the intention of milling and drying them, but only recently got around to it. Most of it is from jobs I’ve done for people cleaning up fallen or storm damaged trees. A bunch of it is from neighbors on my street, too. I know most of the species I have in my log pile, but there are a few mysterious chunks I picked off the curb which could be just about anything. If anyon...
One day this workbench may be done. It is made from construction lumber. 4×4s, 2×6s and 2×4s. Other than being a functional piece for my “shop”. I wanted this to be a learning process for joinery I have not attempted. The size is about 4’x2’x35”. The small size has been depicted by my small space, the front portion of a 1 car garage. My one goal was to complete the structure of this workbench using no hardware, i.e., nails, screws, bo...
The town usually takes broken trees to be ground down but with the recent storm there just too many so they just dropped it at the transfer station and people have been able to cut it down for fire wood. Not all looks suitable for woodworking and the majority is just to ok big to handle without a proper machine but one can still dream
I was walking through the timber a month ago, and found a huge smooth bark hickory that had fallen from a storm. The trunk was 24” in diameter at its base, and 30 foot up the trunk it was 16” in diameter. When I saw it, I knew it just had to be milled. I already had a cherry that had fallen that was 20 foot tall and a foot in diameter. So, I called a sawyer that came and picked up one 6 foot and two 12 foot hickory logs, and one 5 foot and two 8 foot cherry logs. ...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1742 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 107 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 80 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1767 entries
- dbhost - 420 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- mafe - 304 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 246 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 220 entries
- robscastle - 218 entries
- Dave Rutan - 214 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 194 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 190 entries