Last step in the process (well not the last – but close to it – still have to get back over there and paint, or otherwise seal the endgrain, which hasn’t done much in the way of checking with all the freezing temps and the moisture we’ve been getting) ...I set up a level ‘foundation’ for the lumber stack. Made sure it was up off the ground and spaced the beams just under 2ft apart:.........Here’s a couple shots of the progress. My wife helped me h...
Here’s a little more ‘milling around’ for fun:........ This board turned out to have some really interesting spalting…........ And, upon closer examination:........... One with our stacks:........ And our final parting shot! ........ This concludes the milling process. What a blessing it was to have Mike’s support in this process. I can thank LJ for that! And a HUGE thanks to Mike directly! That was a lot of fun last Wednesday. Just amazing what can come f...
At the end of this short video you’ll see me look up at Mike. If you listen closely you can hear the saw hit some more metal….... .... At some point after the next few cuts we hit our 3rd and 4th nails within the same board:........ But, look what we have here!........ Here’s a shot of the “scene” at this point (there’s a few board feet of sawdust):........ We’ll finish up the sawing in the next installment…We uncovered a real gem just a bit ...
After the slabbing cut, we continued to cut the first half of the log. Here’s a short video of Mike on the saw….... .... After a few cuts we hit a nail…pulled the saw out and cut from the other end…chipped a tooth but nothing really terrible; the chain was still relatively sharp, so we continued to cut!............ Here’s the spalting a bit closer up…it gets even better in the 2nd half!....... .... A bookmatch shot for fun…........ MORE TO COME!....
On the same cold, crisp, gorgeous day in Sunny Seattle…the next thing we did was mount a 2×12x12 to the top of the 1st half of the maple log as a guide board to establish our first flat face from which we could continue to cut with just the chainsaw mill. The 2×12 had 2×2 runners screwed on to it to keep it flat and a wee bit more ridgid. One hooked over the edge, while the other was inset a few inches to “shim” the board to “level” it out (all ...
Last weekend I made my first trip to a local lumber yard for the Holtzapffel bench project. After much deliberation, I had made a firm decision on White Ash as my choice of wood. I’ve not been to many lumber yards, and I’ve never gone to pick out my own rough-cut slices before, so this was quite exciting for me. In my haste, I planned poorly for the hauling of big, heavy woods and had to rent a Home Depot truck for the duration. I drive a Mazda3 which, while Zoom-Zoom and util...
A discussion about free wood led to some conversation about barn lumber. We have an old barn that came with this place, and I thought I’d share some of our efforts to keep it standing. This is not a majestic old barn built by a well-to-do country gentleman. This was built by a poor depression-era farmer out of whatever he could cobble together. Despite our efforts to keep it standing, we often have people stop by to “offer” to tear it down for us if we let them have the ...
Continued from a previous post Scoooore! Maple quarter log sections/bowl blanks. Nice fall day. Scraped windows and removed old glazing. With the Honeydew list project out of the way, it’s on to fun! The original logs were big enough that I was able to get two natural edge face grain blanks and five end grain blanks, none with pith to contend with. And I got some nice wedges for future chainsawing, and likely some pen blanks, as well. I’ll keep a photoblog as these bowls unfol...
The remainder of the maple came down today and I got a shot of the main trunk section that I plan to mill. It’s definitely going to be spalted throughout. This bole is 35-40” in diameter and the arborist was able to leave it intact from base to crotch! It’s 11’ long. It’s partially cracked on the side you can’t see and does have some splitting, so it probably won’t yield wide boards. I think it is sound enough to go through with this venture. Th...
I made yet another trip to my local lumberyard (30km, 19miles), and decided I needed some more variety in my wood selection at home. I really wanted to find some spalted maple (I have fallen in love with the look of the stuff), but they did not have any (only poor samples of spalted ash). In the end, I picked up some Bloodwood and some beautiful bird’s eye maple. The bird’s eye is something I’ve been wanting to work with, having seen some really great examples in the LJ g...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1523 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 94 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1548 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 394 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- mafe - 258 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- shipwright - 211 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 199 entries
- stefang - 187 entries
- Rustic - 186 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 181 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 166 entries