Task at hand: Make a top for this cover using thin Luan. I thought finger joints would work to keep it sturdy, and to not require cleats on the inside. BTW, this is a cover for my CNC controller so looks is not a priority to me on this one. The top is cut to fit, but just barely oversized: Place the top under the carcase, keeping track of mating edges: Slide the carcase back: Then tilt it up so the mating edges are aligned. I used double sided tape to secure it: Take it to the...
Been 13 days since my last update, which means there’s lots o’ progress to report! I set up a router lathe to mill the mast. Turns out 2×4s aren’t really stiff enough for a 10’ lathe bed, and the mast needed to be supported in that span anyway, but I ended up with something passable after a bunch of hand-plane and sandpaper tuning. Every year Petaluma’s various small craft river users band together to have a “Day on the River” celebration, in ...
Blessed are the queue jumpers, for they fill a 3 day weekend and leave our hands covered in glue: Charlene and I started construction on the hull this weekend, in luan and redwood. We think we’re building a fairly robust hull, but we are going to glass the seams, and we’ll probably end up building a few extra ribs to brace the bottom a little more robustly. We got the sides cut and fitted, and the bottom glued on but not yet trimmed. There’ll be a bunch of scrapin...
On the one hand, you could suggest that I’ve been inspired by Napaman's Stevenson Weekender build, and his Puddle Duck Racer build. On the other hand, you could blame the Bodega Bay Fish Fest Wooden Boat Challenge, which I got roped in to last year because the Sonoma County Woodworker's Association sponsored a team, we won, and this year Tom Segura and I worked with a team of teenagers who managed to compete and get around the course without sinking (with only a little input from us)...
Although I’m rather anxious to make progress on the acoustic guitar project, the recent departure of a close family friend caused me to shift gears briefly to build them a going away present. During the glue-up process, I was frustrated by the lack of suitable bench space. My old glue up table was a $50 IKEA pine piece that bit the dust some time ago…and I hadn’t yet gotten around to replacing it. From the start of the shop design process I had envisioned a mobile assembly/w...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1186 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 87 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Just for Fun... - 81 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 67 parts
- Workshop Development - 65 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1208 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 387 entries
- dbhost - 331 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 300 entries
- Martin Sojka - 297 entries
- Karson - 293 entries
- William - 249 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- mafe - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 187 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- Rustic - 183 entries
- PurpLev - 162 entries
- shipwright - 160 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 159 entries
- scottb - 144 entries