LumberJocks

Woodworking blog entries tagged with 'lock'

  • Advertise with us
View CartersWhittling's profile

Tool Chest #7: Hinges, Lock and Paint

770 days ago by CartersWhittling | 15 comments »

Hello. With the lid finished, bottom in place and skirts glued on I can begin installing the hinges and the lock. All the hardware (excluding casters and lid chain) were bought from http://www.horton-brasses.com/ which is where Chris Schwarz got his hardware as well. So first off I began by installing the hinges. I placed the lid on the chest and got it into position and marked one side of each hinge on both the lid and top edge of the chest. Then I used the hinge itself to mark ...

Read this entry »


View Tim Dorcas's profile

Cabinet Making #3: Making Drawers

1494 days ago by Tim Dorcas | 4 comments »

Up to now, things were relatively easy. Now the actual work was going to start. To make the drawers, I decided to use Poplar. However, I did something I would now change. I purchased 4/4 of the stuff with the idea that I would resaw in half on my bandsaw. In retrospect, I should have purchased 8/4 and cut it into thirds. After resawing, planing and sanding, the boards were much thinner than I had hoped. The next decision was how to construct the drawers themselves. I have an Akeda Dovetai...

Read this entry »


View CaptainSkully's profile

Arts & Crafts Dining Room Set #18: A Little Progress...

1533 days ago by CaptainSkully | 2 comments »

I finally had a day off, so I chopped up the messed up lock-mitered legs by setting the blade right up against the fence at a 45 degree angle. I was able to push the legs through with the help of a featherboard to be as safe as possible. I chopped a bit off each side, but I think the next version will be much better, even if they’re up to 1/2” smaller on each face. I started to run the freshly liberated faces through the table saw to reestablish fresh mitered edges to prepare f...

Read this entry »


View deeman's profile

Lacewood Lock #3: Shackle and Parts

1601 days ago by deeman | 3 comments »

Today I made the shackle, The latch bolt, and the lever. The shackle is made of walnut and the other parts are from maple. I also drilled the back face and after sanding all the parts did a dry fit of the lock body and back face to make sure all parts worked properly. I then applied Arm R Seal to the top of the lock body. It is very hard to get to after assembly. After some more fitting I will glue the back to the center then the front.

Read this entry »


View deeman's profile

Lacewood Lock #2: Lock Center And Inlay

1604 days ago by deeman | 2 comments »

Today I worked on the front lock face. I put a inlayed piece of bubinga for the key hole trim. This was my first try,just a simple circle. After a few practice pieces I worked on the project part. Turned out pretty good I think. I got the grain off a little. I then cut out the lock body and made the spring. The spring is a piece of hickory 1/16 thick 5/8 wide and 2 7/8 long

Read this entry »


View deeman's profile

Lacewood

1608 days ago by deeman | 2 comments »

Today I bought 2 Bd.Ft. of lacewood for another lock. I also bought a small piece of bubinga for a inlay. I have never worked with lacewood or made a inlay before, so hopefully I will learn something new. I am hoping to photograph the lock as I make it. Today I finished the calf roping stand for my son. He picked it up before I could get a pic of it.

Read this entry »


View CaptainSkully's profile

Arts & Crafts Dining Room Set #15: He's Got Legs...

1637 days ago by CaptainSkully | 12 comments »

Today, I bit the bullet and tried out my 45 degree lock-miter bit to make the four-sided quarter-sawn white oak 4” x 4” legs. I outsmarted myself by trimming the edges at 45 degrees. Unbeknownst to me, the router bit needs all the meat it can grab to make the “tongues”. As a result, I have very little “lock” in my lock-miter. I have just enough to register the corner, but I’ve lost about half of my glue surface. Sigh… The good news is that...

Read this entry »


View PurpLev's profile

Router Table #7: Drawers Under the Weather

1669 days ago by PurpLev | 13 comments »

and I mean literally – we’ve had a snow storm here, and the garage is covered with more than a foot of snow. It was blazing outside and the high winds were blowing snow all over the place. my garage is unheated, but neither of those stopped me from making the most I could with an open window of time I got this weekend. I caved in, and ordered an Incra router plate for the top when they just posted the phenolic version on sale for $35 (they had a 10% off last week). I really ...

Read this entry »



DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase