Today I cut miters on the lid’s trim. Afterwards I was able fit the splines into the slots I cut in the trim parts and the lid. Then I wanted to check if every dimension was good by seeing the lid on top of the chest. Oh yes, I also fastened the ship-lapped bottom boards with #6 1 inch long Fh wood screws. I will need to take a flush trim router bit around the outer case walls. Some of the bottom boards are a bit proud of the case. This flush bit will shave those proud spots flu...
Ash bucket lidwood over ashes… I have stoves in both the home and the workshop. As a old boy scout (35 years ago), I do have a great respect for the fire hazard of ashes, so I wanted ash buckets to keep the ash in for some days before it goes to the trash. Also I can be more lazy, just have to do it once in a while. Smiles. After making the bucket with Mike (Stefang), I thought I needed to make a matching lid for the metal bucket. Decided to make it a hand tools only project, m...
My goal on the Dutch tool chest was to incorporate a space for two larger saws in the design. Like Chris Schwarz’s Dutch tool chests, I was determined to locate the saws on the lid, yet what I didn’t like about his design was that it required ample space on both sides of the tool chest to pull the saws out. I usually don’t have much space on either side. Here’s his design (and notice that you can’t pull that bottom saw out without running it into that workbench o...
Continuing on the boat bed project, I have to now make a lid for the toy box. First I trace the shape of the toy box onto a 1/2” material. Rough cut it, screw it down and then use a trimming bit on the router to trim it flush. I use some templates that I made a few years ago to make the trim. I’ll then use a rabbiting bit and cut a groove in the inside of the trim the thickness of the bead board. A round over is used on the top edges. I put together two of the three side...
Here is the second part of a short series. In this one I round the edges of the lid with a hand plane.
Cole jaws arrived today. So it was off to the garage to finish the salt cellar. All in all I’m very pleased. Only a few things irk the perfectionist in me. 1) A line on the lip on the underside of the lid. Must have gotten a little reckless with the skew chisel or something. 2) There’s some tear out on the knob at it’s largest diameter. I don’t remember getting any catches while doing this part, but I guess anything’s possible. Or maybe I can just say it...
Yesterday as planned I was able to trim the back panel, and fit the horizontal dividers and top panel so that it all fits together: Knowing the there are a lot of glue surfaces I didn’t want to take the chance of screwing it up (since I wanted to eliminate all metal fasteners …lol) so I did the glue up in stages. First was glueing up the drawer dividers to one another. I used the side of the box and the 2 rails to keep things aligned and in position while I only glued the d...
Fitting the lid is taking a lot longer than I thought. I had to trim the sides to length freehand as I don’t have a miter box. The grooves on the sided required trimming and deepening. Deepening the grooves was with a mortising chisel as I don’t have a plow plane. These pictures how the groove in the frame fits into the groove in the panel and the halves of the mitered bridle joint go together to make the lid. The antique clamp was my Dad’s. Shows the groov...
To Flock or not to Flock that is the question:Whether ‘tis nobler of project to sufferThe slings and arrows of dedicated LJ’ers,Or to take arms against the sea of boxes,With the mitering of corners and maple keys;Ay, there be thy rub; perhaps ‘tis be the tung oil? Sorry for the poetic abuse. I won’t let it happen again. Mirror, Mirror in the lidWho be the fairest LJ’er of the Id?‘Tis not be that crusty DustyAl;Surely ‘tis be that crafty Karson fella,Exotic lumber and all. Woop...
Finishing the lidI wanted to get the lid to fit tight, so I cut a piece of ply to fit the box and then centered it under the lid. I used this to scribe my layout lines.I taped the corners of the box to help minimize tearout. Pushstick was used for actual operation. I busted out Wonder Boy for trimming the lid to perfection.Finished rabbet. (Note Kristin’s toes)I cut and glued more keys to secure the miters.I used a file to follow the plane this time. As long as you work away from the co...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1692 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 91 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 69 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1717 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- dbhost - 402 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- mafe - 286 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 231 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- stefang - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 203 entries
- robscastle - 196 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 190 entries
- Rustic - 190 entries
- Dave Rutan - 189 entries