I am attaching the legs as shown in the photo. After all four legs are on then I will attach the skirts connecting the legs. Pocket screws again will be used. The position of the skirts will cover the pocket holes on the sides of the legs. Then I will be able to measure the final lengths of the corner brackets. I have yet to determine where I will drill pocket holes to fasten the corner brackets. The corner brackets will cover the pocket holes drilled in the skirts. I doubt I wi...
hello all.. Now, having got the parts of the basic structure ready I wanted to get this glued up solid before fitting the parts that form the drawer pocket so I needed to get the legs shaped. Apart from the use of the Cocobolo panels the legs were the only other part I was fairly certain of once I knew this would be a table. I had seen some legs I liked and which seemed like they would fit here. I had a photo of the piece that sported those legs and imported it into sketchup. I used th...
Hello all, just in case anyone is following along I’ll continue here with how I added the gunstock joints to the legs as an afterthought.I had already prepped the leg blanks and cut mortises when I decided (influenced in large part by a nice arts and crafts hall table in a magazine article) that the table would benefit from”flowing” the legs into the apron frames with gunstock joints. This will probably be easier to visualise if I show you the end result, so this is what ...
Hello all, things have been deathly quiet on the first installment of this blog, which I started due to interest on the project I posted here. Having started, I should go on, so in this post I’ll show how the remaining veneered panels for the table aprons and the legs came together. Here is the substrate for one of the small side apron panels being planed up, with the thick re-sawn veneer that would be stuck to it. The substrate is a piece of Primavera and I did not back it with a ...
Not a thrilling photo today, but I had to get my feet back under me after the weekend. On Friday afternoon our well developed a problem. I had to call a plumber for this one. As plumber calls go, this one wasn’t that bad, though prepping for his arrival caused me to clean out a storage area of my shop and put that stuff in my shop proper. So today I worked on the legs. The only thing I need to do to the base at this point is saw some edging to hide the plywood edges and glue ...
Today I started working on the legs for the table. The picture above will give you an idea of what they will look like. The photos below are two views of the glue up. They are not glued to the table, but will eventually be bolted to the cleats. In these photos I’m using the cleats and the 2×4s sticking out the ends as spacers. I put a bit of duct tape on them to allow a little play. We’re getting there.
I took the panels and the legs and I cut biscuit slots. I thought I took pictures but don’t find any so I glued the panels and legs together. Both ends done. I decided to use dowels to hold the ends to the stretcher. The plan was to run screws through the panels and then plug the hole. I opted not to do it that way. I used dowel centers to mark the stretcher. I then glued the undercarriage together. Then i had to set the bench seat on to see what it looked like.
Not much progress since last time, but still some. First of all, I made my wagon vise a handle. It’s been cut from raw oak stock that I took from my country house almost two years ago. I started with planing it to be a square, then to be octagonal, then I doubled number of edges yet more couple of times, and finished with some very light sanding. To make end knobs I used my poor man’s lathe: Time after time I use it to turn knobs, handles and such: And here is my ...
After toying for some time with the idea of using one long leg along the straight side of the top and a turned leg on the other side, some testing with a mock-up convinced me that it was just not goinf to be stable. I turned towards another idea that would still use one long leg down the center of the table with one cross-leg, if you will, off center in both directions. I think that the leg design will be stable, yet is not too heavy looking. It still needs some final fitting before I sa...
I’ll skip the boring parts, like the glue up of the legs and material choice. I will say that I had intended to build my own designed bench sometime last year. I was sold on a certain author’s idea of an awesome Roubo style bench. I got Paul Sellers’ Working Wood, book and dvd set at Christmas this year, and it completely changed my way of thinking. But you didn’t come here for ramblings, you want to see pictures…... There they are, pretty aren...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1742 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 107 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 79 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1767 entries
- dbhost - 420 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- mafe - 304 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 246 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 220 entries
- robscastle - 218 entries
- Dave Rutan - 214 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 194 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 190 entries